Join the Team
Interested in joining the Greenheart Travel team? It's a great organization to be a part of and we have a variety of ways to get involved.
High School and Short-Term Programs Associate Director
- Type of Position: Full Time
- Start Date: ASAP
- Hours: Full time during company business hours, Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 5:30 pm
- Location: 200 W Superior St; Suite 300; Chicago, IL; 60654
Greenheart International is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit committed to connecting people and planet to create a more peaceful and sustainable global community. We achieve our goals through a unique set of programs and initiatives fostering cultural exchange, eco-fair trade, volunteerism, personal development and environmentalism. Greenheart encompasses four main branches: Greenheart Exchange, Greenheart Travel, Greenheart Shop, and Greenheart Transforms.
Greenheart Travel encourages everyone to Travel for a Change. We send Americans (and other native English speakers) abroad on cultural exchange programs including: High School Abroad, Teaching Abroad, Working Abroad, Language Camps, Volunteer Programs, TEFL Certification Courses, and Homestays.
We believe in the power of travel; a power that broadens your perspective and turns strangers into family. It’s this belief that motivates us at Greenheart Travel to provide life-changing adventures for anyone with a case of wanderlust. We’re your personal cheerleaders as you navigate the unpredictable joys, surprises, and challenges of life abroad. With unrivaled support and guidance, Greenheart Travel gives you the tools to make sure you’re more than a tourist, you’re a world citizen. You don’t just travel for the sights, you travel for a change.
What we’re looking for:
Do you book a trip abroad every chance that you get? Do you get a thrill convincing your friends to take the leap to travel or move overseas? Would you love to work in a dynamic role with a group of people relentlessly struck by the travel bug, and are constantly hanging out after work to plan their next trip? Are you ready to change lives by inspiring people to take the leap to move abroad? Do you believe in the power of travel and cultural exchange to change the world?
We are looking for someone who will oversee Greenheart Travel’s High School Abroad and Short-Term Programs (Language Camps, Homestay Programs, and Volunteer Abroad) Sub-Department. The Associate Director will be in charge of the sub-department’s overall sales and growth strategy, program management, partnership development, outreach & recruitment efforts and long-term planning.
The primary focus of this position will be program management and leading the sub-department in pursuit of meeting our enrollment targets. The Associate Director should be prepared to lead the department to achieve substantial growth.
The ideal candidate will have a strong grasp of leadership skills, sales strategy, relationship development, and business development. This person should be highly organized, communicative, outgoing, and flexible with changing priorities. S/he must have excellent customer service and conflict resolution skills.
Greenheart Travel is growing rapidly, so we’re looking for someone who is highly adaptable and able to actively contribute to new ideas, growth and constant improvement. This is a unique opportunity to develop a sub-department with enormous potential.
Some things you might do as the High School and Short-Term Programs Associate Director of Greenheart Travel:
- Lead the growth and success of the sub-department responsible for the following programs: High School Abroad, Teen Language Camps, Volunteer Abroad, Group Travel, and Teach English in a Homestay programs.
- Lead sales efforts to meet enrollment goals of High School Abroad and Short-Term program participants, as determined each season
- Supervise outreach coordinator in efforts to develop relationships with high schools, universities and other strategic partnerships
- Supervise sales coordinator and program manager
- Lead and oversee program management, pre-departure logistical support, building & maintaining partner relations, and conflict resolution
- Work closely with Marketing team to drive leads and sales
- Improve and streamline database and program management processes
- Maintain and build strong relationships with Greenheart Travel partners
- Conduct competitor and industry analysis and identify opportunities in the market for growth
- Lead and facilitate superior pre-departure and on-program training and support for travelers
- Write and negotiate contracts for new partnerships and renewals
- Regularly meet with and supervise staff, support them in reaching goals, consult them in program management and conflict resolution issues
- Develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures for program management and crisis response
Some qualifications you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Preferred: Minimum of two years’ supervisory experience
- Preferred: Minimum of four years’ customer service and sales experience
- Experience living, studying, volunteering, or working abroad
- Experience managing a high volume of leads emails and phone calls
- Superior communication skills (should feel comfortable communicating effectively with teenagers, parents, and business partners)
- Strong skills and experience in resolving conflict and deescalating situations
- Dedication to cultural exchange, travel and a passion for learning about other cultures
- Proactive, diligent, positive & creative self-starter with exceptional ability to learn quickly
- Great work ethic and excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Keen attention to detail and organized, with a knack for streamlining processes
- Outgoing, flexible, with a willingness to learn and take initiative
- Adept at networking and relationship building
- Experience synthesizing large volumes of data to measure progress, develop goals, and identify trends
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally on occasion
- Experience with a cultural exchange, study abroad, or education-focused non-profit organization
- Excellent computer skills with competence in CRM/Salesforce and Microsoft Office Suite
- A valid U.S. driver’s license
Compensation: Commensurate with experience plus benefits package
Sound likes the perfect fit? Tell us WHY by applying HERE. A cover letter is required for your application to be considered.
Due to the amount of applications processed, we ask that you do not call Greenheart International regarding this position. All qualified applicants will be contacted.
The rest of Greenheart International’s job openings can be found here.
Greenheart International is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran.
Internship for Teach English & Work Abroad Programs:
- Type: Unpaid internship, temporary, 12 weeks with possible extension for an additional 10 weeks
- Hours: 15 hours per week minimum; flexible daily hours available Monday – Friday, 9:00a.m. – 5:30p.m.
- Location: Greenheart Travel Office, Chicago, IL
- 2018 Start Dates:
- January – March
- April – June
- July – September
- October – December
The Greenheart Travel Volunteer Intern will assist management and staff with data entry, interviewing candidates, phones, and various other administrative duties. Some of the intern’s duties may include, and are not limited to, the following:
- Assist Program Managers with daily administration of Greenheart Travel Teach & Work Abroad programs
- Review and process Teach program applications
- Ensure timely receipt of participant applications and follow up as instructed by Program Managers
- Assist in creating web content to update existing pages or to create new ones
- Interview candidates who have submitted applications via Skype
- Interface with participants when necessary on aspects of program administration
- Write and update program orientation materials as needed
- Assist the programs managers with other tasks as assigned
- Assist with web and blog content
- Research new and competing Teach Abroad programs
- Help with creative Marketing ideas to promote programs; using Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
Sales & Recruitment
- Work with Program Manager on Salesforce data entry and program management
- Help the Travel Abroad department meet the goal of outbound participants nationally in the calendar year
- Respond to e-mail and phone inquiries as needed
- Assist with lead generation and follow up through the Salesforce CRM system
- Assist with maintaining program listings with web directories and placing ads
- Help coordinate travel and study abroad fairs, school presentations, information sessions and other networking events to be determined
General Office Administration
- Assist in general office administrative tasks when needed. This includes, but is not limited to, answering the phones, copying, assisting in large mailing projects, etc.
- Assist with other programs within the Travel Abroad department as needed
Volunteers should be creative, self-directed, and flexible with excellent written and oral communication skills. Outgoing personality and experience with an enthusiasm for international travel. Excellent computer skills with competence in Microsoft Office Suite; experience with Photoshop, WordPress a plus; knowledge of social media outlets helpful
To Apply: Please send your desired internship start date, your weekly availability, and attachments (resume, cover letter, and a writing sample) to Courtney Guengerich at email@example.com with the subject heading Volunteer Internship for Teach English & Work Abroad Programs.