How to Get Started Now to Teach English in South Korea Spring 2020
If you’re interested in going to Korea in February of 2020 to teach English abroad, you should get started now! We will begin accepting applications later this year but you should get started on some things ahead of time. Applying as early as possible is the best thing you can do to increase your chances of being accepted! Here are some things you should get started on now, if you’re applying for the next round (we are currently processing applications for Fall 2019), in order of importance:
- A TEFL certification is required unless your Bachelor’s of Master’s degree is in Education, or you have a teaching license.
- Please read more about the certification required for this program here.
- It is highly recommended you start on your certification as soon as you decide you’d like to apply since the lesson plan is part of the application that is due by November 15. This past round, 90% of applicants were asked to make major revisions on their lesson plans which immensely slowed down their application. It is highly encouraged that you start a TEFL course now so that you have the skills and knowledge to put together an amazing lesson plan!
- The deadline to finish a course will be in January but you will need to have at the very least signed up for one in order to start the application process in August.
- More and more provinces are requiring that online courses have at least 20 in-class or practicum hours, so it’s important to keep that in mind when deciding which course is best for you. Taking an online-only course will drastically reduce your marketability and limit your placement preference choices. Seoul and Gyeongnam require 20 hours and Busan requires 50 hours but that list is continually growing.
2. Letters of Recommendation
- These have a validity of 2 years, so you can start on them now if you plan to apply within the next 2 years
- These letters have STRICT guidelines. To be emailed instructions and templates please enter your information here or contact me
- If your recommenders would like to send them directly via email now to us, that is fine, but have them also send the original ink signed copy to us via snail mail as well.
3. The personal essay and lesson plan
- These are a part of the actual application, which won’t be released until later this year.
- You cannot fill out the application until this round’s is released, as each rounds application looks slightly different, but the essay and lesson plan are usually the same prompt each round, so you can get started on those ahead of time.
- Please note: we cannot guarantee that the prompts will be the same when the application is released, but in our experience they have not changed recently.
- For detailed instructions and the actual prompts please enter your information here.
4. A passport-style photo
- Must be an actual passport style photo (like the kind you can have taken at Walgreens or CVS) and show only the face and shoulders, with a plain background. Please do not take your own photo.
5. Apostilled copy of Bachelor’s Degree
6. One sealed official transcript of the Bachelor’s Degree
- Since the transcripts are sent as sealed and official, they do not need to be apostilled. If you open up your transcripts or get them apostilled, they will not be accepted.
7. Photo page of your Passport – Legible color copy
ONLY IF APPLICABLE:
8. Apostilled Copy of Master’s Degree
- You can save time and money by getting your BA and MA degrees apostilled together.
9. One sealed official transcript of Master’s degree
10. Proof of full time teaching experience letter
- Like the letters of recommendation, this letter has very strict guidelines so it’s important that it is written correctly so that corrections don’t slow down your application.
- For detailed instructions and the actual prompts please enter your information here or contact me.
11. Citizens of the UK will need to have an original birth certificate apostilled and sent in to Greenheart Travel via mail.
12. Citizens of Australia will need to notarize a photocopy of their birth certificate and then have the notarized photocopy apostilled and then sent to Greenheart Travel.
13. Citizens of South Africa will need to submit a Proof of English Language Instruction letter from each school they attended since 7th grade with their initial application sbumission
What you SHOULD NOT start on just yet.
1. Apostilled Original National Level Criminal Record Check (CRC)
- Your criminal record check must have been issued within the last 6 months of your visa issuance, so you cannot apply for this until around August 15th, 2019.
- This process takes the longest so it is important that you apply for your CRC as soon after August 15th as you can. We have had participants in the past who were accepted into EPIK but could not go because they applied for their CRC too late and couldn’t get it by the deadline.
2. The actual application
- This will be released on August 1, 2019 and I will send it to you then if you enter your information here.
Greenheart Travel has been sending teachers to South Korea for over 15+ years and we have supported thousands of people through the complicated application process as well as prepared them for life in Korea prior to departure. We provide hands on support and personal attention every step of the way including:
- Preliminary practice interview with Greenheart Travel
- Exclusive tips and prep questions for your interviews
- Access to 11+ guides and tools for each part of the process, built from years of experience, and updated each round
- Tips and resources to expedite your documents
- Comprehensive and in-depth pre-departure support includes cultural and logistical training
- Continued support throughout your contract in Korea
- We will keep you on track to make sure you have the best possible chance of getting a position in South Korea!