Teach English in a Homestay in Argentina
Live like a local as an English language tutor in Argentina!
Immerse yourself in the neoclassical yet modern culture of Rosario, Argentina’s 3rd largest city, with Greenheart Travel’s Teach in a Homestay program! Participants spend 15 hours per week tutoring the host family English to improve their language skills. The rest of the time is yours to explore all that central Argentina has to offer!
This program offers:
- Volunteer tutoring position with a local host family
- 15 hours per week teaching experience
- Placements in and around Rosario
- Accommodation with volunteer Argentinian host family
- 1, 2 or 3 month placements
- Rolling start dates twice monthly
This is a volunteer, unpaid teaching placement designed for deep cultural immersion and exchange. This program is ideal for adults hoping to gain experience in teaching English, teachers planning to travel during their summer break, or travelers seeking to experience full cultural immersion while teaching English abroad.
What do past participants say about the program?
“My time here has been amazing, and the weeks have just flown by. I can’t believe I only have three weeks left. I am very lucky to have been placed with an awesome host family, they have been too good to me. It was a bit of an adjustment at first, but my host family has been very helpful and I have met some great people who are in the Greenheart program. I feel very fortunate for all these opportunities” – Dawn, Teach in a Homestay Alumna
Start dates are available year round. We need 8 weeks lead time to secure a host family and you are welcome to choose any of the start dates below. We’re flexible, so if you are unable to start on these given dates, please contact Greenheart Travel directly to see what we can do.
|Program Start Date||Deadline to Apply|
|January 4, 2017||November 4, 2016|
|January 18, 2017||November 18, 2016|
|February 1, 2017||December 2, 2016|
|February 15, 2017||December 16, 2016|
|March 1, 2017||December 30, 2016|
|March 15, 2017||January 13, 2017|
|March 29, 2017||January 27, 2017|
|April 12, 2017||February 10, 2017|
|April 26, 2017||February 24, 2017|
|May 10, 2017||March 10, 2017|
|May 24, 2017||March 24, 2017|
|June 7, 2017||April 7, 2017|
|June 21, 2017||April 21, 2017|
|July 5, 2017||May 5, 2017|
|July 19, 2017||May 19, 2017|
|August 2, 2017||June 2, 2017|
|August 16, 2017||June 16, 2017|
|August 30, 2017||June 30, 2017|
|September 13, 2017||July 14, 2017|
|September 27, 2017||July 28, 2017|
|October 11, 2017||August 11, 2017|
|October 25, 2017||August 25, 2017|
|November 8, 2017||September 8, 2017|
|November 22, 2017||September 22, 2017|
|December 6, 2017||October 6, 2017|
|December 20, 2017||October 20, 2017|
No previous teaching experience or certification is required. We are looking for participants who are open-minded and flexible, as well as meet the following requirements:
- At least 18 years old – retirees welcome!
- Be a native English speaker
- Be a citizen of the EU, USA, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa or Canada
- Must be a high school graduate – college students and graduates preferred
- Spanish language proficiency preferred by not required
- Must have the ability to prepare a private tutoring lesson plan
- Be in good mental* and physical health
I don’t have teaching experience. How will I know what to teach my host family?
The English lessons tend to be informal and conversation based. There is no pre-determined curriculum; however participants should be prepared to put together a lesson plan for each tutoring session. Greenheart Travel will provide you access to a library of resources to help you develop ideas for the lessons.
Typically families are looking for you to speak English with them over dinner or for a certain amount of time during the day.
Usually you will teach the children in the home but occasionally an adult will request lessons as well. The level of English will vary depending on the host family but most will be at the beginner level and will only have basic knowledge of English.
- 1 month: $1,300
- 2 months: $1,420
- 3 months: $1,580
Please note, all prices are listed in USD
- Host family search, screening, background check and placement process
- Accommodation for duration of program
- Three home-cooked meals a day for duration of program
- Local office support in Argentina
- Pre-departure orientation & cultural training before you leave
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- English as a Second Language Teaching Resources
- Culture & Etiquette Guidebook
- Resume-enhancing experience as a Private Language Tutor
- Learn a new language through immersion in a different culture and country
What’s Not Included:
- Flight to Argentina
- Visa & Reciprocity Fee to Argentina
- Meals eaten outside of the host family home
- Spending money for personal purchases, tourism or optional activities
Wondering why you have to pay for a program?
Greenheart Travel is a non-profit organization, and the program fee for this volunteer project covers the cost of placing a volunteer teacher in the program.
Homestay participants live with a local host family during the program. Host families apply in a similar way to participants and Greenheart Travel will match you based on living preferences and personal interests. Host families are not compensated for hosting and host only in exchange for the English lessons.
Prospective host families undergo a rigorous screening process. Participants can rest assured that only suitable host families will be selected. In order to qualify as a host family, the prospective hosts must:
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
- Undergo and pass an in-person interview with program staff
- Agree to and pass a home inspection
Participants will have their own private room but may share a bathroom and living areas with the host family. Host families also provide three meals per day except on when going out to restaurants. As an English teacher in a homestay, you will be warmly welcomed into a host family’s home, while having the opportunity to explore the region on your own.
What have past participants said about their host family experience?
“My host family is fantastic! They’ve already taken me around to see some great places in the nearby countryside. I’ve also been able to take a bike out during the days and explore the nearby areas. So far, the adjustment has been pretty easy, and I really love the country. Thanks for making this all possible!” – Robin, Teach in a Homestay alumni
Homestay participants live with a local host family during the program and it’s important to be open-minded about your placement. Although we cannot guarantee placement in a specific region or city, participants are likely to be placed in the Rosario area.
Can I choose where I will be placed?
No. You can choose your destination country, but you must be flexible about where you will be placed within that country. We can never guarantee placements in any specific city or region and we match based on compatibility with the host family.
Once I receive my placement, can I request to change it?
No, we do not change host families based on preferences or location. If you request to change your host family after you have been placed, you will forfeit your $500 placement deposit.
What if I don’t like my host family? Can I request a new one?
No. We do not change host families based on preferences or location. If concerns arise one you are in country, we handle them on a case-by-case basis and do our best to resolve issues amicably.
Can I be placed with my friend/spouse/significant other?
No. We are not able to place more than one person with a host family. It is okay to apply with friends and family; however, you will be placed in separate homes and we cannot guarantee they will be in the same city.
Complete the Online Application
There are 5 short steps in the application process, which are outlined below. The whole process takes about 30 minutes and can be done in stages.
- Select the APPLY NOW button on the left side of the program page. You will receive a link to fill out the first portion of the application, which asks for general information about you.
- Once you complete part 1, you will be emailed Greenheart Travel’s Terms and conditions. Please read through them and sign.
- Next, you will pay a $250 deposit to hold your position in the program. It is very rare that our homestay applications are declined, but if you are rejected from the program, you will be refunded the $250 less a $75 processing fee. Otherwise, it is deducted for your overall program fee.
- Now, you will complete a second application form that includes more detailed information about yourself (such as education background, experience, medical history, host family preference, etc).
- In order to finalize your application, you will need to complete a 15 minute interview via Skype with the program manager.
Additionally, you will need to upload the following documents:
- 1 letter of recommendation (can be personal or professional)
- A “Dear Family” letter introducing yourself to your homestay family
- Copy of your passport
- A completed background check. If you are a US citizen, Greenheart Travel provides you a free, online background check service which you can access during the application process. If you are not a US citizen, you are required to submit your own background check from your local police station.
Review your Application
Greenheart Travel will thoroughly review your application and will contact you within 2-3 business days to confirm your acceptance. If we find something in your application that we have concerns about, we will let you know immediately. 95% of applicants are accepted on the program they apply for.
You’re Accepted – now what?
Your program manager will be in touch with you directly about your acceptance. If accepted, you will receive an orientation packet via email, as well as supplemental information about dealing with culture shock and our insurance program.
Before we begin the host family screening and placement process, an additional $500 payment toward your program fee is due. This payment is required a minimum of 8 weeks prior to your departure.
All American citizens are required to pay a reciprocity fee for entry into Argentina and a visa may be required for a tourist stay of up to 90 days. Greenheart Travel will provide you information about applying for a visa, but please check with the embassy of your host country to verify, as visa requirements may change.