Teach English in a Homestay in China
The Teach in a Homestay program offers the opportunity for participants to become an English tutor for a local family while sharing their everyday life
Explore the countless heritage and cultural landmarks in Beijing while you tutor and live with a local host family on Greenheart Travel’s Teach English in a Homestay program in China. Participants spend 15 hours per week tutoring the host family English to improve their language skills.
This program offers:
- Volunteer tutoring position with a local host family
- 15 hours per week teaching experience
- Placements in Beijing or Shenzhen
- Accommodation with volunteer Chinese host family
- Small monthly stipend
- 1, 2 or 3 month placements
- Rolling start dates twice monthly
This is a volunteer teaching placement designed for deep cultural immersion and exchange. This program is ideal for adults hoping to get their feet wet in teaching, teachers planning to travel during their summer break, or travelers seeking to experience full cultural immersion while teaching English abroad.
What do our alumni say about this program?
“My homestay experience in China was the experience of a lifetime. Although my stay was only for a month, it offered me actual first-hand experience and a wonderful glimpse into the lives of Beijingers. I was able to delve into Chinese culture, customs, and cuisine! My tutoring hours were very reasonable and I was able to explore an array of tourist attractions on my own time. I encourage you to plan ahead, pack your bags, and just go! You will not regret this experience of a lifetime.” — Afia Yeboah, China Teach in a Homestay Alumna 2016.
Start dates are available year round. We need 8 weeks lead time to secure a host family. You are welcome to choose any of the start dates below. We’re flexible, so if you are unable to start on these given dates, please contact Greenheart Travel directly to see what we can do.
|Program Start Date||Deadline to Apply Date|
|March 7, 2018||January 7, 2018|
|March 21, 2018||January 21, 2018|
|April 4, 2018||February 4, 2018|
|April 18, 2018||February 18, 2018|
|May 2, 2018||March 2, 2018|
|May 16, 2018||March 16, 2018|
|May 30, 2018||March 30, 2018|
|June 13, 2018||April 13, 2018|
|June 27, 2018||April 27, 2018|
|July 11, 2018||May 11, 2018|
|July 25, 2018||May 25, 2018|
|August 8, 2018||June 8, 2018|
|August 22, 2018||June 22, 2018|
|September 5, 2018||July 5, 2018|
|September 19, 2018||July 19, 2018|
|October 3, 2018||August 3, 2018|
|October 17, 2018||August 17, 2018|
|October 31, 2018||August 30, 2018|
|November 14, 2018||September 9, 2017|
|November 28, 2018||September 23, 2017|
|December 12, 2018||October 12, 2017|
|December 26, 2018||October 26, 2017|
No previous teaching experience or certification is required. We are looking for participants who are open-minded and flexible, as well as meet the following requirements:
- At least 18 years old – retirees welcome!
- Speak fluent English (other languages depend on specific demand)
- Must be a high school graduate – college students and graduates preferred
- Must have the ability to prepare a private tutoring lesson plan
- Be a citizen of the EU, USA, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa or Canada
- Be in good mental* and physical health
I don’t have teaching experience. How will I know what to teach my host family?
The English lessons tend to be informal and conversation based. There is no pre-determined curriculum; however participants should be prepared to put together a lesson plan for each tutoring session. Greenheart Travel will provide you access to a library of resources to help you develop ideas for the lessons.
Typically families are looking for you to speak English with them over dinner or for a certain amount of time during the day.
Usually you will teach the children in the home but occasionally an adult will request lessons as well. The level of English will vary depending on the host family but most will be at the beginner level and will only have basic knowledge of English.
- Flat rate fee of $900 for 1, 2 or 3 months!
Please note, all prices are listed in USD
- Host family search, background check, screening and placement process
- Single room accommodation with carefully screened host family
- Three home-cooked meals a day for duration of program
- Small monthly stipend (only if you complete your teaching responsibilities)
- Local office support in China
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- English as a Second Language Teaching Resources
- Pre-departure orientation and cultural training before you go
- Culture & Etiquette Guidebook
- Enhance your resume with experience as a Private Language Tutor
- Learn a new language through immersion in a different culture and country
- Background check
What’s Not Included:
- Flight to China
- Visa to China
- Meals eaten outside of the host family home
Wondering why you have to pay for a volunteer teaching program?
Greenheart Travel is a non-profit organization, and the program fee for this volunteer teaching project covers the cost of placing you in the program. These fees also aid in providing accommodation, meals, insurance and pre-departure & in-country support to homestay teachers.
Homestay participants live with a local host family during the program. Host families apply in a similar way to participants and Greenheart Travel will match you based on living preferences and personal interests. Host families are not compensated for hosting and host only in exchange for the English lessons.
Prospective host families undergo a rigorous screening process. Participants can rest assured that only suitable host families will be selected. In order to qualify as a host family, the prospective hosts must:
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
- Undergo and pass an in-person interview with program staff
- Agree to and pass a home inspection
Participants will have their own private room but may share a bathroom and living areas with the host family. Host families also provide three meals per day except on when going out to restaurants. As an English teacher in a homestay, you will be warmly welcomed into a host family’s home, while having the opportunity to explore the region on your own.
Homestay participants live with a local host family during the program. It’s important to be flexible in your placement location, as there are families throughout the country. Although we cannot guarantee placement in a specific region or city, participants are likely to be placed in the Beijing or Shenzhen area. We will ask about your preferences during the Skype interview, and you can see a map of where in Beijing we have placed teachers in the past.
Can I choose where I will be placed?
No. You can choose your destination country, but you must be flexible about where you will be placed within that country. We can never guarantee placements in any specific city or region and we match based on compatibility with the host family.
Once I receive my placement, can I request to change it?
No, we do not change host families based on preferences or location. If you request to change your host family after you have been placed, you will forfeit your $500 placement deposit.
What if I don’t like my host family? Can I request a new one?
No. We do not change host families based on preferences or location. If concerns arise one you are in country, we handle them on a case-by-case basis and do our best to resolve issues amicably.
Can I be placed with my friend/spouse/significant other?
No. We are not able to place more than one person with a host family. It is okay to apply with friends and family; however, you will be placed in separate homes and we cannot guarantee they will be in the same city
Complete the Online Application
There are 5 short steps in the application process, which are outlined below. The whole process takes about 30 minutes and can be done in stages.
- Select the APPLY NOW button on the left side of the program page. You will receive a link to fill out the first portion of the application, which asks for general information about you.
- Once you complete part 1, you will be emailed Greenheart Travel’s Terms and conditions. Please read through them and sign.
- Next, you will pay a $250 deposit to hold your position in the program. It is very rare that our homestay applications are declined, but if you are rejected from the program, you will be refunded the $250 less a $75 processing fee. Otherwise, it is deducted for your overall program fee.
- Now, you will complete a second application form that includes more detailed information about yourself (such as education background, experience, medical history, host family preference, etc).
- In order to finalize your application, you will need to complete a 15 minute interview via Skype with the program manager.
Additionally, you will need to upload the following documents:
- 1 letter of recommendation (can be personal or professional)
- A “Dear Family” letter introducing yourself to your homestay family
- A photo album with 5-7 recent photos of you (used for your host family to get to know you)
- Copy of your passport
- A completed background check. If you are a US citizen, Greenheart Travel provides you a free, online background check service which you can access during the application process. If you are not a US citizen, you are required to submit your own background check from your local police station.
Review your Application
Greenheart Travel will thoroughly review your application and will contact you within 2-3 business days to confirm your acceptance. If we find something in your application that we have concerns about, we will let you know immediately. 95% of applicants are accepted on the program they apply for.
You’re Accepted – now what?
Your program manager will be in touch with you directly about your acceptance. If accepted, you will receive an orientation packet via email, as well as supplemental information about dealing with culture shock and our insurance program.
Before we begin the host family screening and placement process, an additional $500 payment toward your program fee is due. This payment is required a minimum of 8 weeks prior to your departure.
A visa may be required for a tourist stay of up to 90 days depending on the destination country. Greenheart Travel will provide you information about applying for a visa, but please check with the embassy of your host country to verify, as visa requirements may change.