Teach English in a Homestay in Thailand
Be an English conversation partner to a Thai family and immerse yourself in Thai culture!
Whether it’s the delicious street food, vibrant cities, or welcoming people that draw you to Thailand, Greenheart Travel’s Teach English in a Homestay program allows you to live like a local! You’ll have the opportunity to become an English tutor with a local host family, while immersing yourself in their everyday life.
This program offers:
This is a volunteer, unpaid teaching placement designed for deep cultural immersion and exchange. This program is ideal for adults hoping to get their feet wet in teaching, teachers planning to travel during their summer break, or travelers seeking to experience full cultural immersion while teaching English abroad.
- Volunteer tutoring position with a local host family
- 15 hours per week teaching experience
- Placements throughout the Bangkok region
- Accommodation with volunteer Thai host family
- 1, 2 or 3 month placements
- Rolling start dates monthly
Picture yourself abroad and read our participants’ blog posts on life as an English tutor in Thailand!
“I had an eye-opening experience in Thailand. If I had to give advice to someone who would like to take part in a homestay, it would be to try as many different foods as you can, speak to as many different people as you can, make some friends, don’t be afraid of your host family. It is a once in a lifetime experience that you will always remember. I’ll certainly never forget it” — Joze Goodwin, Teach English in a Homestay alum
Start dates are available year round. We need 8 weeks lead time to secure a host family. You are welcome to choose any of the start dates below.
|Program Start Date||Deadline to Apply Date|
|March 14, 2018||January 14, 2018|
|April 18, 2018||February 18, 2018|
|June 20, 2018||April 20, 2018|
|July 11, 2018||May 11, 2018|
|August 15, 2018||June 15, 2018|
|September 12, 2018||July 12, 2018|
|November 14, 2018||September 14, 2018|
|December 12, 2018||October 12, 2018|
No previous teaching experience or certification is required. We are looking for participants who are open-minded and flexible, as well as meet the following requirements:
- Be between 18 and 30 years old
- Be a native English speaker
- Must be a high school graduate – college students and graduates preferred
- Must have the ability to prepare a private tutoring lesson plan
- Be a citizen of the EU, USA, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa or Canada
- Be in good mental* and physical health
I don’t have teaching experience. How will I know what to teach my host family?
The English lessons tend to be informal and conversation based. There is no pre-determined curriculum; however participants should be prepared to put together a lesson plan for each tutoring session. Greenheart Travel will provide you access to a library of resources to help you develop ideas for the lessons.
Typically families are looking for you to speak English with them over dinner or for a certain amount of time during the day.
Usually you will teach the children in the home but occasionally an adult will request lessons as well. The level of English will vary depending on the host family but most will be at the beginner level and will only have basic knowledge of English.
- 1 Month – $1,400
- 2 Months – $1,520
- 3 Months – $1,630
Please note, all prices are listed in USD
- Host family search, screening and placement process
- Single room accommodation with carefully screened host family
- Three home-cooked meals a day for duration of program
- 2 day all inclusive orientation in Bangkok
- Local office support
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- Pre-departure orientation
- Culture & Etiquette Guidebook
- Enhance your resume with experience as a Private Language Tutor
- Learn a new language through immersion in a different culture and country
What’s Not Included:
- Flight to Thailand
- Visa to Thailand
- Meals eaten outside of the host family home
- Spending money for personal purchases, tourism or optional activities
Wondering why you have to pay for a volunteer teaching program?
Greenheart Travel is a non-profit organization, and the program fee for this volunteer teaching project covers the cost of placing you in the program. These fees also aid in providing accommodation, meals, insurance and pre-departure & in-country support to homestay teachers.
Homestay participants live with a local host family during the program. Host families apply in a similar way to participants and Greenheart Travel will match you based on living preferences and personal interests. Host families are not compensated for hosting and host only in exchange for the English lessons.
Prospective host families undergo a rigorous screening process. Participants can rest assured that only suitable host families will be selected. In order to qualify as a host family, the prospective hosts must:
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
- Undergo and pass an in-person interview with program staff
- Agree to and pass a home inspection
Participants will have their own private room but may share a bathroom and living areas with the host family. Host families also provide three meals per day except on when going out to restaurants. As an English teacher in a homestay, you will be warmly welcomed into a host family’s home, while having the opportunity to explore the region on your own.
What do past participants say about their host families?
“The host family I stayed with was really welcoming. Our lessons were pretty casual and mainly consisted of spending time together and talking. My host mum improved the most with her English. I was lucky enough to stay with a family that introduced me to different Thai food.” – Joze Goodwin, Teach English in a Homestay alum
Homestay participants live with a local host family during the program. It’s important to be flexible in your placement location, as there are families throughout the country. Although we cannot guarantee placement in a specific region or city, participants are likely to be placed in the Bangkok area.
Can I choose where I will be placed?
No. You can choose your destination country, but you must be flexible about where you will be placed within that country. We can never guarantee placements in any specific city or region and we match based on compatibility with the host family.
Once I receive my placement, can I request to change it?
No, we do not change host families based on preferences or location. If you request to change your host family after you have been placed, you will forfeit your $500 placement deposit.
What if I don’t like my host family? Can I request a new one?
No. We do not change host families based on preferences or location. If concerns arise one you are in country, we handle them on a case-by-case basis and do our best to resolve issues amicably.
Can I be placed with my friend/spouse/significant other?
No. We are not able to place more than one person with a host family. It is okay to apply with friends and family; however, you will be placed in separate homes and we cannot guarantee they will be in the same city.
Complete the Online Application
There are 5 short steps in the application process, which are outlined below. The whole process takes about 30 minutes and can be done in stages.
- Select the APPLY NOW button on the left side of the program page. You will receive a link to fill out the first portion of the application, which asks for general information about you.
- Once you complete part 1, you will be emailed Greenheart Travel’s Terms and conditions. Please read through them and sign.
- Next, you will pay a $250 deposit to hold your position in the program. It is very rare that our homestay applications are declined, but if you are rejected from the program, you will be refunded the $250 less a $75 processing fee. Otherwise, it is deducted for your overall program fee.
- Now, you will complete a second application form that includes more detailed information about yourself (such as education background, experience, medical history, host family preference, etc).
- In order to finalize your application, you will need to complete a 15 minute interview via Skype with the program manager.
Additionally, you will need to upload the following documents:
- 1 letter of recommendation (can be personal or professional)
- A “Dear Family” letter introducing yourself to your homestay family
- Copy of your passport
- A completed background check. If you are a US citizen, Greenheart Travel provides you a free, online background check service which you can access during the application process. If you are not a US citizen, you are required to submit your own background check from your local police station.
Review your Application
Greenheart Travel will thoroughly review your application and will contact you within 2-3 business days to confirm your acceptance. If we find something in your application that we have concerns about, we will let you know immediately. 95% of applicants are accepted on the program they apply for.
You’re Accepted – now what?
Your program manager will be in touch with you directly about your acceptance. If accepted, you will receive an orientation packet via email, as well as supplemental information about dealing with culture shock and our insurance program.
Before we begin the host family screening and placement process, an additional $500 payment toward your program fee is due. This payment is required a minimum of 8 weeks prior to your departure.
A visa may be required for a tourist stay of up to 90 days depending on the destination country. Greenheart Travel will provide you information about applying for a visa, but please check with the embassy of your host country to verify, as visa requirements may change.