United States TEFL Certification Course in Chicago
Earn your 190-hour TEFL Certification with highly qualified university-level professors located in the beautiful Lakeview neighborhood.
Earn your 190-hour TEFL Certification while enjoying all that Chicago has to offer. Enjoy a TEFL course with small classes and highly qualified university-level professors in the beautiful Lakeview neighborhood, while utilizing brand new classroom facilities, computer work stations, a reference library and student lounge.
Through a series of course readings, tasks, peer participation, essays, and a final thematic unit, students will develop all the skills necessary to be a confident, well-resourced, professional teacher -whatever your background!
This course will qualify you to not only for Greenheart Travel teach abroad programs, but for teaching positions all around the world: Teach in Asia, Europe, Latin America, or the Middle East!
- 4-week course in Chicago, Illinois
- 190 hours of TEFL/TESOL training
- Internationally accredited by TQUK
- 10 hours of practicum (observation, teaching practice, lesson plan prep)
- Student teaching with actual ESL students
- Class sizes limited to 12 students
- 3 main components: teaching methodology, language acquisition, student teaching (practicum); view the syllabus
Class sizes are extremely limited (12 students), so early registration is highly recommended. Classes usually fill 3-4 months ahead of time so please think ahead if you’re interested in a Chicago course!
Course Start Dates*: Deadline to Apply & Submit Full Deposit:
January 9 – February 3, 2017 FULL
February 6 – March 3, 2017 FULL
March 13 – April 7, 2017 8 spots left!
April 10 – May 5, 2017 Jan. 29
May 15 – June 9, 2017 Feb. 10
June 12 – July 7, 2017 Feb.15*
July 10 – August 4, 2017 March 10*
August 7 – September 1, 2017 March 25*
September 11 – October 6, 2017 June 10
October 16 – November 10, 2017 August 10
November 13 – December 8, 2017 Sept. 15
No, you’re not crazy for applying to take a TEFL course in Chicago this winter. Here’s why.
Can’t commit to a full time, four week course? You can get the same great certification around your current schedule with our Online TEFL Course!
*Summer courses fill up 3-5 months ahead of time so it’s important to register early to ensure your spot on a summer course!
Our Chicago TEFL student ages range from 18-88. Nobody is too young or too old to earn their TEFL Certification.
Native English speakers with a high school diploma are academically eligible to join the course. Non-native speakers are also eligible, but must submit a written essay and engage in an interview to assess their level of English proficiency. If you have any questions regarding eligibility, please contact Greenheart Travel at 888-ABROAD-1. We will be happy to assist you with all of your questions regarding TEFL Certification and teaching English abroad.
Please note that many countries have age, degree, and language requirements for their teaching positions and work permits. Greenheart Travel is happy to talk with anyone planning to take a TEFL course about realistic teaching opportunities abroad.
*Tuition does not include text books or room and board.
- Pre-course grammar module
- 190 hour TEFL certification
- Four weeks of full time, in-person TEFL training
- Live practice teaching (practicum) with actual ESL students
- Job search guidance workshops
- Letter of recommendation
- Lifetime job guidance
- 350 page ESL job search manual
- ESL school directory (approx. 8,000 schools worldwide)
All students are required to purchase the textbook and workbook for the Chicago course. Text books are purchased directly from the publishing company. All orders and transactions are handled, downloaded and shipped directly from the publisher:
- Textbook Paperback Version Price: $ 67.95 plus tax and shipping
Housing arrangements are not included in the course, but we can suggest various options and recommendations for your month-long stay in Chicago, including local hostels, rental apartments, airbnb, and Craigslist.
There are several hostels that are conveniently located near the school, with prices ranging from about $27-35+ per night. Other options include short-term furnished apartments or rooms for rent in the city.
Job Search Guidance
All students and graduates of the Chicago on-site TEFL course receive lifetime job search guidance to find paid jobs teaching English abroad. This includes — but is not limited to — the following:
- Greenheart Travel Teach Abroad programs – if you meet the other program requirements, obtaining a TEFL certificate will qualify you for any of our excellent Teach Abroad programs. You’ll receive step-by-step assistance and support from your application to the end of your program. This is a great option for anyone who wants a little bit more structure, support, and community in their teach abroad experience.
- Personal guidance from an experienced Job Search Advisor – Expert Job Search Advisors are available to speak with you and correspond by email to address all of your questions and to assist you with every aspect of your job search from writing your resume/CV and cover letter, to coaching you on the interview process in different job markets, to helping you assess which destinations might be the best fit for you based on your preferences and qualifications.
- ESL job search manual: All graduates of the online course receive a manual detailing all relevant information for major job markets around the world, including hiring seasons, academic standards, and the interview process as well as templates for resumes and cover letters. This manual also incorporates extensive listings of online resources, including nearly 100 ESL international job boards listing thousands of teaching opportunities around the world.
- ESL worldwide school directory: We will send you a directory of approximately 8,000 schools worldwide that you can contact directly regarding employment opportunities.
Job Search Guidance Workshops for the Chicago TEFL Course:
In addition to the lifetime job search guidance outlined above, workshops are provided throughout the 4-week Chicago TEFL Course. Three 90-minute workshops are incorporated into the course schedule. These will cover:
- Country details, job markets, and hiring practices for the four major ESL markets: Europe, Latin America, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Cover letter and resume development
- Interviewing prep, strategies and techniques
- Choosing the right Teach Abroad destination
- Work visas and travel preparations
- Expenses and finances
- Cultural understanding
- Working with recruiters
How do I know if this course is right for me?
You should take this course if you:
- want the highest quality TEFL/TESOL course available
- prefer learning in a classroom over learning online
- live in Chicago or want a destination TEFL/TESOL course in a vibrant, beautiful city!
- are looking for an intensive, full time learning experience
- are seeking the best accreditation from an independent accrediting body
- decide on quality rather than price alone because you realize that you are investing in your education and your future
- understand that a highly qualified, experienced instructor, an exceptional curriculum and excellent accreditation are absolute necessities in TESOL / TEFL Certification training
What’s the daily schedule like?
The course schedule is quite intensive during the week. Class is held from 9:30am-7:00pm, Monday-Friday. Weekends are free!
Sample schedule (subject to change):
9:30 am – 1:30 pm: Class time
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm: Lunch
2:30 pm – 5:30 pm: Class time
5:30 pm – 6:30 pm: Q&A with Instructor
6:30 pm – 8:00 pm Practicum*
*Practicum times and days will vary for each TEFL student and will begin on the first Tuesday of the class. Your first week of practicum will only being observing ESL classes, not teaching them.
What are the “Job Search Guidance” workshops?
Job search workshops are built into the course and are meant to teach you about the international TEFL/TESOL job markets around the world.
Job search guidance workshops will cover:
- Resume and cover letter development
- Interviewing techniques & strategies
- Choosing the right country to work
- Work visas, expenses and travel preparations
- Cultural understanding
- Working with recruiters
What is the “student teaching (practicum)” component of this course mean?
This course includes 10 hours of practicum, including observation, teaching practice and lesson plan preparation.
Live practice teaching (practicum) with actual ESL students (not role playing with fellow students as some TEFL schools offer) is an integral part of any accredited, professional-level TEFL training program.
Practice hours will be arranged or you. For your practice teaching, you will be providing lessons to local ESL students from the Chicagoland area. The Chicago TEFL School offers free ESL lessons to the Chicago community as part of our dedication to serve the local community. All student teaching is observed by our class professor and given immediate feedback. This is important for the TEFL student to have their professor observe (not just a staff member) to meet criteria established by our accreditation.
Our Chicago TEFL class students have on average 10 hours of live student teaching and 20 hours of prep time and instructor review.
Is this course valid and accredited?
Yes, it is. Read more about the accreditation here.
The Chicago TEFL Certification course is taught by university-level professors who must hold at least a Master’s Degree (most will hold a PhD) in teaching English as a foreign language or a related field. All professors have at least 10 years of professional teaching and training experience at the university level.
What content does the course cover?
- Pre-Course Grammar Module
- Basic Principles of Teaching
- Classroom Management
- Lesson Planning
- Error Correction
- Visual Aids
Bonus TEFL Units:
- Teaching Young Learners
- Teaching Business Professionals
Select the APPLY NOW button to the left and we will send you an email containing your link to the application, as well as more information. Simply fill out the registration form and submit your course deposit to reserve your spot in your chosen start date!
A $600 deposit is required to reserve your spot in your chosen start date. The TEFL courses in Chicago are very limited in size, so we highly recommend registering and submitting your deposit as early as possible. The summer courses fill very quickly.
Your tuition balance will be due at least 30 days before your course start date.