Work & Travel in Ireland
Spend up to a year experiencing life on the Emerald Isle, while working to fund your travels throughout Ireland and Europe!
- Spend up to a year working and traveling in Ireland (2 years for Canadian citizens!)
- Assistance finding work in part-time service industry jobs or in career-oriented positions
- Travel Ireland and Europe in your free time
- Pre-departure and in-country support
- Flexible start dates and job opportunities year round
Have questions for a program manager? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You must meet the following requirements to apply
- Citizenship from: USA or Canada only
- US citizens must be current university student OR recent university graduate (within the past 12 months) in an associate, bachelor, master, or doctoral program (no age restrictions)
- Canadian citizens must be between the ages of 18 and 35 (no university requirement)
**These requirements are set according to the Working Holiday Visa guidelines, so no exceptions can be made. These requirements are put in place by the Irish government.
Start dates are available year round. We need about 3 months lead time to process your application.
We’re flexible, so if you are unable to start on these given dates, please contact Greenheart Travel directly to see what we can do.
24 month program: Visa valid for 24 months (working or traveling) – Canada only
12 month program: Visa valid for 12 months (working or traveling) – US only
4+1 month program: Visa valid for 4 months working, plus 1 month of travel – US only
|Start Date||Deadline to Apply|
|January 15||October 1|
|February 1||November 1|
|March 1||December 1|
|April 1||January 1|
|May 1||February 1|
|June 1||March 1|
|July 1||April 1|
|August 1||May 1|
|September 1||June 1|
|October 1||July 1|
|November 1||August 1|
- 5 month program (US citizens only): $1340
- 12 month program (US citizens only): $1520
- 24 month program (Canadian citizens only): $1520
- Medical insurance (5 months included for 5-month program, 12 months included for 12 and 24 month programs)
- Visa processing assistance
- Visa fee for 5 month program (not included for 12 program or 24 month programs)
- Pre-departure support and orientation from an experienced Greenheart Travel Program Manager
- 3 nights’ hostel accommodation (shared room)
- Arrival orientation with in-country staff
- Job search support and assistance
- Resources and support for finding permanent housing
- 24-hour emergency support and service
What’s not included in the program fee?
- Visa processing and fees for 12 month program (about $360)
- International airfare
- Lunch and dinner at hostel during orientation
- Housing costs and living expenses (meals, utilities, etc.)
- Personal expenses (see Income and Expenses)
Income and Expenses
Your salary will depend on how much you decide to work and what work you end up getting. However, you are guaranteed to make Irish minimum wage (€9.25), and most people make €10-€16/hour, with higher skilled participants in professional jobs making as much as €25/hour. Bear in mind that you’ll also be paying a roughly 20% income tax rate.
These monthly expenses are estimates for Dublin. If you choose to live outside of Dublin, you can expect to pay significantly less.
- Pay +€1530 (40 hours/week, post-tax)
- Rent (private room in shared flat) -€850
- Food -€200
- Phone -€30
- Transportation -€100 for transit pass
- Utilities -€150
- Leftover +€200
These monthly costs will, of course, depend on your personal spending habits, where you live, how many hours you work, and if your job provides a higher pay/accommodation but you should expect to be able to save some of your paycheck every month.
Here is a rough estimate of your initial start up costs (in USD) to help you budget and save:
- Flight: $600
- Program Fee: $1400/$1660 (depending on program duration)
- Visa: $360 (5 month program only)
- Savings: $4000 (or access to $4000 credit line)*
- Total: approx. $6500
*You’ll need proof of access to $4000 when you apply for the visa, then proof of €1500 (in a bank statement) upon entry to Ireland.
Orientation starts every few days and will last 2-3 days.
At orientation, you will:
- Learn about Irish culture
- Meet other travelers who have just arrived in Ireland
- Review the job market; what jobs are abundant and where
- Be introduced to online job boards for future jobs
- Receive assistance in finding short or long term accommodation
- Complete your work authorization process
Job Placement FAQs
Most of your job opportunities will be in Dublin, although there are also jobs available in other cities and towns. Greenheart Travel’s partner has professional relationships with trusted employers around Ireland who pay fair wages and alert us whenever they have positions available.
What are the most common job types?
About half the jobs participants get are casual, entry-level work like restaurant and bar service, retail, and hospitality jobs. The other half is higher-skilled, career focused jobs. Our in-country staff will help you assess your qualifications and interest and look for a job that suits you. It’s important to be flexible and open-minded on job type.
Can I change jobs while I am there?
Yes, you’re free to stay at one job the whole time or move around as much as you like.
Where will I live?
The cost of housing in Dublin is relatively high, so most people seek out shared apartments or homestays (renting out a spare room in a single-family home). The in-country staff will assist you in finding a suitable place to live.
How much will I make?
This depends on what type of job you choose and the number of hours you work.
Will I be able to get a job that will enhance my career?
Depending on your interest and qualifications, yes! It’s important to be open-minded and flexible about job placement, as the job market for professionals in Ireland is fairly competitive, but the in-country staff will be able to assist you in applying to jobs that will enhance your resume and experience in your chosen field. It is, however, important to be flexible on job type to increase your chances of finding work soon after your arrival.
How long does it take the get a job?
If you’re actively working with our job placement team, you’ll most likely have a job within 2 weeks of arrival.
- You can start the application here: Greenheart Travel Application. This first step includes things like your name, address and chosen start date and should take around 10-15 minutes to complete. Once complete, you will receive a link to a digital Terms and Conditions form.
- Sign our online Terms and Conditions Document. These are our basic policies like cancellation policies, deferral policies, etc.
- Submit your $300 deposit. A deposit is required in order to apply for the program and is subtracted from your total program fee. We only have the resources to interview serious applicants for this program, which is why we require the deposit ahead of the interview. We get thousands of applications each year, and while we wish we could meet everyone, we only have the time to interview those who are committed to participating. If we are unable to accept you following your interview (very unlikely!) we will refund your deposit in full.
- Provide more detailed information about yourself in Part 2 of the application. Links to this part will be emailed to you. In this section, you’ll tell us more information like your work history, motivations for joining the program, travel history, and emergency contacts.
- Submit your required documents at the link provided.
- Schedule your video interview! Once you have submitted your online application and paid your application deposit, you will be asked to schedule a video interview with a Greenheart Travel representative.
- You’re accepted! Woohoo! We are usually able to accept people within a 1-2 weeks of their interviews.
- Once you are accepted to the program, you will need to submit a $300 commitment deposit within 14 days to confirm your spot on the program.
- Book your flights, and get ready for your adventure to Ireland!
The above process can take as little as 1 week to complete, so it’s up to you how quickly you’re able to complete each step.
Schedule a Call
Have questions or want to talk to the program manager, Zoe? Set up a time to have a phone call below.