Choose Your Adventure
Environmental Conservation & Hurricane Relief
- Volunteer in Puerto Rico
- Minimum Age : 14-18 years old
- Program Accommodation : Volunteer Housing
- Program Language Requirement : Beginner Spanish
- Program Focus : Environmental Conservation & Hurricane Relief
Travel for a Change as a Volunteer Abroad
Volunteering abroad is your chance to make a positive impact in the world while learning about your host community. Where do you want to travel for a change as a volunteer?
- Image :
- Name : Allison Yates
- Full Name : Allison Yates
- Role : High School and Short-Term Abroad Programs Coordinator
- Image :
- Name : Hope Pavich
- Full Name : Hope Pavich
- Role : High School and Short-Term Programs Director
- Tab : Discounts and Deadlines
Volunteers need to apply 6 weeks prior to their intended start date. However, summer month spots fill quickly and we encourage you to apply as early as possible.
Start dates for our projects are year round and on a monthly basis, so consult the program pages for more specific information.
- Tab : FAQs
Can I apply with my friend/spouse/significant other?
Absolutely! We are happy to accept friends and couples.
Are there fundraising opportunities or scholarship offered by Greenheart Travel for this project?
All funds will have to be provided by you; however we do highly recommend fundraising! Check out our scholarship page for available scholarships.
Is my program fee tax deductible?
Greenheart Travel is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, so a portion of your Volunteer Abroad program fee may be tax deductible. Contact us for more information. We recommend that you also consult with your tax professional to discuss your particular case, as application of tax laws can vary based on individual circumstances.
What vaccinations will I need?
When traveling to any destination, make sure your routine vaccines are up to date. Try to schedule an appointment with your doctor 4-6 weeks before your trip. These vaccines include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, and your yearly flu shot. The CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) also highly recommends the Hepatitis A, Typhoid, and up to date polio vaccinations due to potentially contaminated food or water.
What is often the most difficult aspect of volunteering?
You will be in a situation in which the communities who you are helping live in extreme poverty, and although this is sometimes hard to adapt to, the people very much appreciate that you have made an effort to help them. Homesickness often arises when people feel uncomfortable in their surroundings, but try to remain calm and remember that you are doing a very important thing for your life and the lives of the people you affect while volunteering.
What if I have an allergy/specific dietary requirement?
We can cater to vegetarian or vegan needs quite easily. Any other specific diets should be discussed with us to see if we can arrange to have your needs met. In some cases you may need to provide your own food.
What is the best way to contact friends/family from home?
You will have access to long-distance communications whilst on the program, so you can keep in touch with family and friends. There is mobile phone coverage (cell phone with local service) at the field house. Participants typically use calling cards or you can get a local prepaid SIM for your unlocked phone to keep in touch. Local phones can be purchased at the airport for as little as $25. Internet and WiFi is available at the project house but service can be intermittent. There are additional charges for using these facilities.
- Tab : Why Choose Greenheart?
Greenheart Travel is a non-profit, mission based organization committed to making a positive, long-lasting impact in the communities where we work. We partner with a local, grassroots non-profit organizations around the world to not only to create the most impactful programs, but also to guarantee your volunteer work will make a difference in the local communities.
Greenheart Travel has been operating volunteer abroad programs for over many years. We are proud of our full-immersion, hands-on opportunities, which allow you to provide service hours to communities around the world! There are lots of advantages to traveling with us:
Personalized & Consistent Support
- Our staff is in Chicago – we are available to answer questions during U.S. business hours
- Friendly, responsive, and professional support from staff who have actually volunteered abroad themselves
- Hands on support and personal attention every step of the way
- An experienced program manager will personally review your application to make sure this is the right program for you
Global Community of Volunteers
- Access to a community of alumni and current volunteers on the program, before you even leave!
- Automatic enrollment in the Greenheart Club
- Offer an online platform to log your service hours, qualifying you for a Greenheart Grant
- Exclusive access to Greenheart Travel Alumni Program
Top-Notch Materials & Preparation
- Extensive orientation handbook to prepare you for life abroad
- Webinar pre-departure orientation with focus on cultural training
- “Travel For A Change” T-shirt
- Culture Smart! Guide Book
Don’t just take our word for it! Check out independent reviews from past participants of Greenheart Travel programs here.
- Tab : Group Volunteer Projects
Do you and your friends or classmates want to volunteer together as a group? We have opportunities for large group to travel and volunteer together in Costa Rica and Sri Lanka!
To learn more about volunteering as a group and how to get started, please call as at 888.ABROAD.1 or email email@example.com and we can answer any questions you have!
- Tab : Application Process
Committing to a volunteer abroad program is an exciting time, and we are here every step of the way to make the application process as simple as possible. Below are the steps you’ll need to take to be accepted on a Greenheart Travel program.
- Start Your Application Here (Approximately 5 Minutes): Greenheart Travel Application.
- After we receive the completed Part 1 of your application, you will be asked to sign the Terms and Conditions of the program, showing you understand and agree to the requirements and details of the program. This will be emailed to you.
- Next, you will need to submit your $250 deposit. A deposit is required in order to reserve your spot on the program and is subtracted from your total program fee.
- After submitting the deposit, we will send you the link to the final part of the application. In this part of the application, we will ask more detailed information about yourself and why you would like to volunteer abroad.
Along with the application, all adults (18 years or older) will need to complete a background check. Greenheart Travel will process this for American citizens for free. If you have citizenship in another country, you will need to provide your own completed background check.
As for the payments, you will be required to pay a $250 deposit when you submit your application, and then a second $500 placement deposit will be due after you’re accepted onto the program. This is due no later than 8 weeks prior to your departure date. The final balance of the program is due 35 days before departure. We do not deviate from this schedule and you can pay online via credit card.
After Applying, Now What?
Greenheart Travel will thoroughly review your application and will contact you within 2 weeks to confirm your acceptance. If we find something in your application that we have concerns about, we will let you know immediately. 95% of applicants are accepted on the program they apply for.
Your program manager will be in touch with you directly about your acceptance. You should expect to receive an program handbook via email, which talks more about your program, as well as supplemental information about dealing with culture shock and our insurance program. We will also schedule a pre-departure orientation to answer any lingering questions you may have.