Spain TEFL Certification Course in Barcelona
Get TEFL certified in Spain and realize your dream of practicing your Spanish while living and working in Europe!
Barcelona is a bustling city and central hub in the Catalonia region of Spain, offering you a chance to experience this historical coastal setting during your TEFL certification program. Enjoy tapas, cafe con leches and explore the architecture of Gaudi’s Parque Guell and La Sagrada Familia on your free days.
In this intensive month long course, students will develop all the skills necessary to be a confident, well-resourced, professional English teacher – whatever your background!
- 4-week in-person course
- Located in beautiful and historical Barcelona, Spain
- 190 hours of TEFL/TESOL training
- Internationally-accredited curriculum
- 10 hours teaching practicum
- Small class sizes
- Lifetime Job Placement Assistance
This course often fills up 2-3 months in advance; it’s recommended that you register before the official application deadline.
|Program Start Date||Deadline to Apply|
|July 31 – August 25, 2017||FULL|
|September 4 – September 29, 2017||June 10, 2017|
|October 16 – November 10, 2017||August 7, 2017|
|November 20 – December 15, 2017||September 18, 2017|
|January 8 – February 2, 2018||October 16, 2017|
|February 26 – March 23, 2018||December 28, 2017|
|April 9 – May 4, 2018||February 5, 2018|
|May 28 – June 22, 2018||March 26, 2018|
|July 2 – July 27, 2018||May 7, 2018|
|August 6 – August 31, 2018||June 4, 2018|
|September 10 – October 5, 2018||July 9, 2018|
|October 15 – November 9, 2018||August 13, 2018|
|November 19 – December 14, 2018||September 17, 2018|
To be eligible to apply, students must meet the requirements below:
- Be a native English speaker*
- Have a High school diploma or higher
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a commitment to learning and a willingness to plan and teach in groups
*Non-native speakers are also eligible, but must submit a written essay and engage in an interview to assess their level of English proficiency
Program Price: $1530 USD
- 4 weeks of intensive TEFL training in Barcelona
- 190-hour TEFL certificate (upon successful completion)
- 180 hours of coursework
- 10 hours of practicum
- Lifetime job search guidance
- Practice teaching real Spanish ESL students
- Resume workshop
- Wireless internet
- Assistance in finding accommodation
- Letter of recommendation upon request
What’s not included:
- Accommodation during course
- Course book and work book
- Visa or insurance
- Airfare to/from Spain
- Airport pickup
Why Greenheart Travel?
Greenheart Travel partners with our friends at International TEFL Academy to provide the highest quality TEFL courses available. With these courses, we know you will be a confident and prepared teacher when you decide to move abroad. We match any current discounts being offered by ITA.
By registering for this course through Greenheart Travel, you will receive all the benefits of being an alumni of both Greenheart Travel AND International TEFL Academy.
As an alumnus of the Barcelona TEFL certification course, you will receive:
- A highly accredited TEFL certification upon completion of the course
- $100 alumni discount off any future Greenheart Travel programs
- Lifetime job placement assistance for jobs worldwide
- Community of other ITA graduates who are teaching all over the world
- Community of other Greenheart Travel teachers to reach out to for tips and advice abroad
- Access to Greenheart Grants to establish community service projects at home or abroad
- Waived Teach in South Korea Program Application Fee
- Personal pre-departure orientation and cultural training
- Hands-on support before you depart to Spain
- In-country support from school staff once you arrive
- Check out reviews of the course to learn more about our commitment to our TEFL students’ experience
Accommodation during your TEFL certification course is not included in your tuition, but there are many options within walking distance of the school. Staff in Barcelona will reach out to you after you have registered for a course to assist in setting up your accommodations.
Most students will opt to rent a room in a shared apartment with 2-3 other TEFL students, which will be coordinated by the school staff. The apartments are all in the Eixample district of the city and will be no more than a 20 minute bus ride from the TEFL school. The cost to rent a room for the month of the course will be €450 (~$475 USD).
If you’d like a more private option or something more affordable, like a hostel, you’re more than welcome to book your own accommodation for the first month.
If you plan to stay in Barcelona to teach English after you’ve successfully completed the course, in-country staff members can help you find more permanent housing. In order to keep monthly costs down, most students will opt to live with roommates in a shared flat.
The course curriculum has been externally monitored and approved for accreditation by TQUK (Training Qualifications UK); an officially recognized Awarding Organization that is recognized and regulated by Ofqual. Ofqual is the British Government body responsible for monitoring and maintaining educational standards in the United Kingdom. It is recognized as a leader in providing vocational and professional qualifications to colleges and private training providers in Education & Training, Social Care, and Health.
The curriculum also meets internationally recognized requirements of a minimum of 100 hours of academic work and 6 hours of practicum (student teaching/observation) for a professional level TEFL certification.
These courses are internationally accredited and recognized, and exceed international standards for professional level TEFL Certification (most accredited TEFL courses run 106-120 hours) as set forth by the British Council and other leading bodies in the international field of TEFL.
Most schools, language institutes and Ministries of Education recognize TEFL certifications that meet certain basic standards that are also recommended by leading bodies in the field, including the British Council. These standards reflect those incorporated in to a standard, accredited intensive four-week TEFL class and include:
- At least 100 hours of coursework and training
- At least 6-20 hours of live practice teaching and observation involving actual ESL students (not peers – no role-playing)
- External validation and accreditation by a recognized, independent body within the field;
Spain is an extremely popular country for ESL teachers to live and work, not only because many teachers are seeking a Spanish speaking and European destination, but also because of the abundance of jobs available throughout the country.
Barcelona has its own unique job market and students of the Barcelona course who plan to stay after and teach should know that finding a job at a public or private schools is not likely. Instead, students find enough private tutoring work to fill the amount of hours they want to work every week. There are websites that allow teachers to offer their services, like Tus Clases Particulares, or via word of mouth from other ESL teachers in the city.
The TEFL school staff in Barcelona is incredibly familiar with this job market and has resources and guidance to help graduates get on their feet once they finish the course. However, students should expect to put in time and effort in order to build up their clientele.
Generally, teachers should make €1,150 – €1,400 per month to live comfortably. So, at an average of €20/hour, most teachers will need to work at least 25 hours/week.
Because teachers will take some time to build up a clientele, it’s recommended that teachers save up 2-3 months’ worth of living expenses before arriving in Spain (about $3,600 – $4,500 USD).
Job market at a glance:
- Private tutoring clients
- Small class sizes
- Teacher travels to clients each session
- Students can range from young learners to business professionals depending on teachers’ clients
- Expect to work 25-35 hours/week in order to live comfortably
Why should I choose this course?
You should take this course if you:
- prefer learning in a physical classroom (instead of online)
- want to teach English in Spain or other European countries
- are still in school, but want to teach English when you graduate
- are interested in being immersed in a different culture while earning your certification
- want to learn or practice your Spanish while getting certified
- are seeking the best accreditation from an independent, accrediting body
- are a novice teacher: The course offers solid, practical, teaching techniques to ensure you enter the classroom with confidence
- understand that a highly qualified, experienced instructor, an exceptional curriculum and excellent accreditation are absolute necessities in TESOL / TEFL Certification training
What are my start-up costs?
Barcelona is a fairly expensive European city, so students should come prepared and arrive in Barcelona with some savings (2-3 months’ worth). Other upfront costs include:
Flight: $600 USD (one way)
Course book: $50 USD
Savings: $3,600 – $4,500 USD
For reference, here are the costs of everyday items in Barcelona:
Meal at a restaurant: €11.50
Bottled water: €1
Monthly Metra Pass: €53
1 Bedroom Apt outside city center: €593/month
Do I qualify to take this course?
Students must be 18 years or older, fluent in English, and have a high school diploma.
Which course dates are the best to align with the main hiring season in Barcelona?
Since you will be building your own schedule, it’s possible to find work throughout the year in Barcelona. However, there are peak seasons in mid-September and early October and after the holidays in January.
What will my schedule be like during the course?
You will attend class for 40 hours a week, Monday-Friday from 10:00am – 7:00pm with a couple breaks throughout the day. Students should expect to have homework every night, as well as homework to do over the weekends, though you should have at least 1 free day each weekend to explore the city and relax.
Where will I do my practicum?
You will do your live student teaching and observation at the TEFL school, mostly with Spanish adults from the community.
Is Barcelona safe?
Spain in general is a safe country, but Barcelona is a major city so you do have to be more careful and be more aware of things like pickpocketing, especially in touristy areas. The school is located in in Eixample district of Barcelona, within walking distance of La Sagrada Família, so there are always lots people walking around at all times of the day.
How do I get to the school when I arrive in Spain?
You should plan to arrive a few days before your course starts so that you’re able to give yourself a few days to get settled in and acclimated to your new surroundings. You will set up your airport pickup with the school once you register for your course.
Do I need a visa?
For the TEFL course, a tourist visa is sufficient as it usually allows you to stay in the country for 90 days.
Do I need to speak Spanish?
It is not required to speak Spanish! Many people do not speak much Spanish before arriving in Spain, but most will take advantage of the Spanish classes and will learn quickly.
Will I be able to learn Spanish during the course?
Everyone learns at their own pace, but taking your course in Barcelona is a great way to learn or perfect your Spanish! We recommend looking into taking Spanish classes at the school once you finish your TEFL certification
Is it easy to get around?
Yes! Getting around Barcelona is easy and affordable. Public transportation in Barcelona includes trains, buses and an underground metro and they are all safe to use throughout your time in Barcelona. Your housing will never be more than a 20 minute bus ride from the school, so you’ll get lots of practice using public transit!
Will I be able to find a job teaching English in Barcelona once I’m done with my course?
Yes! There is a large market for TEFL-certified English teachers in Barcelona. However, teachers should keep in mind that they will not be able to find work at a language school and will need to market themselves as an independent private tutor. Please see the Job Market tab for more information.
- Select APPLY NOW button.
- Once you complete the form, you will receive a link in your email for the second part of the application. Fill out this simple form to register for your course. A $500 deposit is required to reserve your spot on the course.
- Once you submit your registration form, you’ll receive a link to pay your $500 deposit.
- After you submit your deposit, we will start to arrange your arrival details!
- Your remaining tuition balance will be due 6 weeks prior to your course start date.