Looking for a fun and inexpensive way to travel? Working abroad is a great way to explore the world, but you will also be able to:
- Get paid to travel: Save money, support yourself while traveling, or pay off student loans
- Give back: travel for a change by joining our Global Greenheart Initiative
- Live like a local: immerse yourself in a new culture
- Put your degree to good use: gain valuable work and life experience
- Have the time of your life: make friends from around the world
What qualifications do I need to get a job teaching English abroad?
That will depend on the program that you choose. Almost all of our other programs require that applicants be between 18-30 years of age. Please see the individual program pages for specific qualification requirements.
All applicants should be enthusiastic, flexible, and adventurous!
While we encourage you to have a blast while on the program, it is important that you are willing to take your work positions seriously. It is a job, after all!
Check out these peak hiring seasons to help you choose which program start date is right for you:
Greenheart Travel registers you with your Embassy in your destination country. In case of a natural disaster or national safety issue, Embassy officials will contact you to make sure you’re aware of any warnings or evacuations, and they will inform you of your options to ensure your safety. That said, you should still keep the following tips in mind:
- When in larger towns and cities be weary of pick pocketing
- In restaurants or internet cafes don’t leave your bag hanging on the back of your chair
- Keep your belongings in your sight at all times
- If riding public buses long distances, keep belongings in your lap if possible
- Don’t walk alone at night, even in remote areas where crime levels are low
- Always go places with a buddy, never alone whenever possible
- Follow your instincts – if you see someone eyeing you or your bags, they are probably scheming up a plan to take them!
- Don’t drink alcohol to excess or do drugs – you will make yourself more vulnerable to crime
- Don’t drive – traffic laws and road conditions may be very different than what you’re used to and accidents often occur due to these differences
- Always exercise caution and common sense
What to Expect When You Finish the Program
Upon your return, you will need to take some time to go through an adjustment period- re-orienting yourself with your daily schedule and way of life. Often times, participants experience “reverse culture shock.” Having an eye-opening experience abroad is definitely something that will change you, and you will want to share these incredible travel stories. Sometimes the most challenging part of adjusting to life back home is not being able to express and connect with family and friends about your experiences.
You can expect to have your contact at Greenheart Travel to be in touch about a week or so after you get back (we want to give you some time to rest!) to see how your program went and how you are adjusting. We want to hear all about your experiences and help you make the transition home.
Evaluating Your Experience
We will also do a quick exit interview to evaluate your experience on the program. We always appreciate feedback from our participants to make sure we are providing the best travel program possible.
Sharing Your Stories
Want to show off your travel adventures during or after your program? We love sharing our participants’ stories, pictures and videos with our travel community, and are always looking to feature new travel writers. If you are interested in being a blogger during your program, or sharing your story and experience when you return. Don’t hesitate to contact your program manager on how you can get involved.
Stay in Touch With US!
We would love to have you stay in touch with us once your program is complete, and here are a few ways you can connect with fellow travelers:
- As a Greenheart Travel alumni, you will receive program discounts on all Greenheart Travel programs! Stay up-to-date on our latest adventures and sign up for our newsletter.
- Connect with other past, present and future volunteers via Facebook and Twitter
- Join our Ambassador team for a chance to earn a FREE volunteer program