Scholarships & Grants
Don’t let financial stress stand in the way of travel! Check out our scholarships and Greenheart Grants available for travelers wanting a meaningful, cultural experience.
Greenheart Travel wants to help you travel for a change with our scholarship and grant opportunities abroad.
To help you learn a language, study, teach or volunteer abroad check out our scholarship opportunities listed in the tabs on the left.
Scholarships for Teens:
- Global Explorer Scholarships are full-ride scholarships for a high school, teen summer language camp or volunteer abroad opportunities.
- Travel Correspondent Blogger Scholarships are partial scholarships for a high school abroad programs (any destination), or teen summer language camp in Canada or China.
Scholarships for Adults:
- Travel Correspondent Blogger Scholarships for a volunteer program in Puerto Rico or Thailand, or a homestay program in Argentina or Russia.
Deadline to apply for all 2017 scholarships is April 1, 2017!
Greenheart Travel Global Explorer Scholarship
Greenheart Travel is excited to offer the opportunity for high school students to broaden their perspective through study and language immersion programs abroad through our Greenheart Travel Global Explorer Scholarship. Scholarship winners will be chosen based on academic merit and financial need, as well as a submitted writing sample and photo essay.
High school students will have the chance to apply for one of the following programs as a Global Explorer Scholarship applicant:
- A full scholarship award to study on a Greenheart Travel Trimester High School Abroad program
- A full scholarship for a 2-week Greenheart Travel Teen Summer Language Camp program
- A full scholarship for a 2-week Greenheart Travel Volunteer program in Costa Rica
Greenheart Travel scholarship winners are open-minded, curious about the world and passionate about experiencing new countries, cultures and languages. Scholarship winners will be featured on Greenheart Travel’s website, social sites and blog feed, as well as have a personal author page to highlight their experience on college applications.
Deadline to apply for a Greenheart Travel Global Explorer Scholarship is April 1st, 2017.
Ready to Get Started?
- Talk with your teacher, coach or school educator about your interest in the Global Explorer Scholarship and to ask them to nominate you for the program award of your choice.
- To receive the scholarship application, your teacher or referral will need to email the appropriate Greenheart Travel contact listed below, with the subject heading: Global Scholarship Nomination.
- For a study abroad scholarship program email Hope Pavich, Director of High School Programs, at email@example.com
- For all teen summer language camp or volunteer programs email Megan Arzbaecher, Short Term Programs Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once we receive your nomination, we will send the application for you to submit, along with instructions on how to submit the following:
- Name and phone number of teacher/coach acting as referral contact
- Completed proof of income document
- Signed terms and conditions with signatures of both student and parent agreeing to the program requirements
- Written essay and photo essay in word documents
- Video introduction
Summary of Global Explorer Participant Requirements:
If chosen as a scholarship recipient, you will be required to demonstrate how you are active in your Greenheart Travel program through various obligations before, during and after your program. Details on blog topics and deadlines will be discussed on a required Skype call prior to your program departure.
- Submit one blog or video 2 weeks BEFORE your program Start Date introducing yourself and why you are excited to travel on your program and what you hope to learn while abroad.
- During Program
- Submit written blog posts and 3-5 photos or a video by discussed deadlines prior to departure. Depending on the program, this could mean submitting a weekly article or once every 3 weeks.
- After Program
- Submit one blog or video 2 weeks AFTER your program end date reflecting on what you learned, favorite part of the program and tips for anyone wanting to travel abroad.
Those selected as a Greenheart Travel scholarship winner agree to:
- Meet all obligations before, during and after the program in order to receive the scholarship award
- Sign and agree to the outlined Terms & Conditions of the scholarship program provided during the application process
- Be a potential mentor for future Greenheart Travelers
- Participate in possible future Greenheart Travel alumni focus groups
- Agree to leave a review about their program experience on GoOverseas.com
Additional terms and conditions:
- Applicants are only allowed to apply to one Greenheart Travel program scholarship opportunity.
- Travel start dates must be in 2017 to receive the scholarship award.
- Spending money and other in-country costs are the responsibility of the scholarship winner. Flight costs will be covered as part of the scholarship award.
Greenheart Travel Correspondent Scholarship
Greenheart Travel is excited to offer the opportunity for travelers to experience life abroad while honing their skills as a writer, photographer and videographer through our Greenheart Travel Correspondent Scholarship opportunities.
High school travelers will have the chance to apply for the following programs as a Travel Correspondent Scholarship applicant:
- 2 high school students will be awarded a $4,500 High School Abroad program scholarship to go toward any Greenheart Travel country destination
- 2 high school students will be awarded a $1,000 Teen Summer Language Camp program scholarship to go toward a program to learn French at our Teen Summer Language Camp in Canada, or Mandarin at our Teen Summer Language Camp in China
Adult travelers are eligible for the following Travel Correspondent Scholarship awards:
- 2 adult volunteers will be awarded a $1,000 Volunteer Abroad program scholarship to help at our projects in Puerto Rico or Thailand
- 2 adult teachers will be awarded a $1,000 Homestay Abroad program scholarship to teach English in Argentina or Russia
Scholarship winners will be chosen based on their ability to creatively share their cultural exchange experience demonstrated in their submitted writing sample, photo essay, and video submission.
Greenheart Travel participants are open-minded, curious about the world and passionate about experiencing new countries, cultures and languages. Scholarship winners will be featured on Greenheart Travel’s website, social sites and blog feed, as well as have a personal author page.
Deadline to apply for a Greenheart Travel Correspondent Scholarship is April 1, 2017.
Ready to get started?
Click here for the full application and eligibility requirements!
Greenheart Grants are funds awarded to Greenheart Travel participants to use for community development projects in their host or home country. A Greenheart Grant is the opportunity to create, improve, or maintain an impactful, community-focused project abroad or at home. Grant funds could be applied to supporting women’s cooperatives, schools, community centers, or health clinics, for example. Grant winners will be featured on our website, social media, and blog.
Collaboration: The community should be the catalyst for the project. Community members must participate in all stages of the project from the planning, implementation, and maintenance.
Sustainability: The project should have a clear plan to sustain itself after you leave. The more the community collaborates, the easier it will be to sustain the project.
Positive Community Impact: The project must clearly benefit the community as a whole and not one individual.
Get inspired by our past Greenheart Grant winners and read their stories.
- Applicant must be a current or past participant in a Greenheart Travel Program and submit all required documents and application details by outlined deadlines.
- Complete the application on the Greenheart Club website
- If awarded, the winner must agree to submit photos, a blog, and other documentation of their project to Greenheart Travel to share with our community.
- Grants are awarded following three deadlines each year on January 1st, May 1st, and October 1st.
For Host Families
Greenheart Host Family Circle Scholarship
We encourage our American-based Greenheart host family members to expand their own cultural experience by taking advantage of the Host Family Circle Scholarships, a program that provides scholarships on Greenheart Travel Programs to all immediate host family members. All Greenheart host families can receive the following off any Greenheart Travel program fee:
Greenheart Host Families that host for less than one full semester:
- $100 discount only on Greenheart Travel short-term programs (Volunteer, Teen Summer Language Camps or Teach in a Homestay programs)
- $300 discount on High School Abroad programs
Greenheart Host Families that host for one full semester or more:
- $200 discount only on Greenheart Travel short-term programs (Volunteer, Teen Summer Language Camps or Teach in a Homestay programs)
- $500 discount on High School Abroad programs
Note: Programs must start within 12 months of the last date the host family served as a host to a Greenheart participant.