Teach English in a Homestay in France
Teach English to a French host family and have the opportunity of a lifetime to live in France!
Immerse yourself in the culture that inspired Monet, Chanel and Piaf while you tutor your host family in English with Greenheart Travel’s Teach English in a Homestay program. Participants spend 15 hours per week teaching the host family conversational English. The rest of the time is yours, so you’ll also have the opportunity to soak in the French way of life through full language and cultural immersion.
This program offers:
This is a volunteer, unpaid teaching placement designed for deep cultural immersion and exchange. This program is ideal for adults hoping to get their feet wet in teaching, teachers planning to travel during their summer break, or travelers seeking to experience full cultural immersion while teaching English abroad.
- Volunteer tutoring position with a local host family (NEW! We can accept couples for this program for an extra fee. Please inquire!)
- 15 hours per week teaching experience
- Placements throughout the country
- Accommodation with volunteer French host family
- 1, 2 or 3 month placements
- Rolling start dates twice monthly
- Optional French language course
See what life in France is like through the eyes of our alumni Emily Rhodes:
Start dates are available year round, usually the first and third Wednesday of every month (subject to change). However, we’re flexible, so if you are unable to start on those dates, please contact Greenheart Travel directly to see what we can do.
Deadline to submit application
In order to secure a host family, you should finish your application 2-3 months prior to when you want to go. For example if you wish to be in France by Feb. 6, you should apply by Dec. 6.
No previous teaching experience or certification is required. We are looking for participants who are open-minded and flexible, as well as meet the following requirements:
- At least 18 years old – retirees welcome! (NEW! We accept couples for this program for an extra fee. Please inquire!)
- Be a native English speaker
- Be a citizen of the EU, USA, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa or Canada
- Have a basic level of French language abilities
- Must be a high school graduate – college students and graduates preferred
- Must have the ability to prepare a private tutoring lesson plan
- Be in good mental* and physical health
I don’t have teaching experience. How will I know what to teach my host family?
The English lessons tend to be informal and conversation based. There is no pre-determined curriculum; however participants should be prepared to put together a lesson plan for each tutoring session. Greenheart Travel will provide you access to a library of resources to help you develop ideas for the lessons.
Typically families are looking for you to speak English with them over dinner or for a certain amount of time during the day.
Usually you will teach the children in the home but occasionally an adult will request lessons as well. The level of English will vary depending on the host family but most will be at the beginner level and will only have basic knowledge of English.
- 1 Month – $1,590
- 2 Months – $1,760
- 3 Months – $1,920
Please note, all prices are listed in USD
- Host family search, screening, and placement process
- Single room accommodation with carefully screened host family
- Three home-cooked meals a day for duration of program
- Local office support
- Comprehensive medical/accident insurance
- English as a second language teaching resources
- Culture & etiquette guidebook
- Online pre-departure orientation with Greenheart Travel
- Resume-enhancing experience as a private language tutor
- Full immersion French language practice
- Background check for the application
- The Greenheart Travel Atlas, an interactive guide to your cross-cultural experience
- Donation to support the Greenheart Odyssey, an award-winning youth leadership development program
- Access to the Greenheart Club, an online community for Greenheart alumni to find resources, log volunteer hours, and apply for alumni grants and scholarships
What’s Not Included:
- Flight to France
- Meals eaten outside of the host family home
- Spending money for personal purchases, tourism or optional activities
- Optional 1 week (20 hours) of French language lessons, tailored to your level (inquire with your program manager)
Wondering why you have to pay for a volunteer teaching program?
Greenheart Travel is a non-profit organization, and the program fee for this volunteer teaching project covers the cost of placing you in the program. These fees also aid in providing accommodation, meals, insurance and pre-departure & in-country support to homestay teachers.
Homestay participants live with a local host family during the program. Host families apply in a similar way to participants and Greenheart Travel will match you based on living preferences and personal interests. Host families are not compensated for hosting and host only in exchange for the English lessons. As an English teacher in a homestay, you will be warmly welcomed into a host family’s home, while having the opportunity to explore the region on your own.
Prospective host families undergo a rigorous screening process. Participants can rest assured that only suitable host families will be selected. In order to qualify as a host family, the prospective hosts must:
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
- Undergo and pass an in-person interview with program staff
- Agree to and pass a home inspection
Participants will have their own private room but may share a bathroom and living areas with the host family. Host families also provide three meals per day except when going out to restaurants. Can’t quite picture what the homes look like? Check out photos from past participants of their French homes!
What do our participants say about their experience?
“It’s been absolutely wonderful, amazing, and fantastic. I love my host family. I loved working with Léa! She is very bright and interested in slowly improving her English. As a family, we spent a few days in Bordeaux doing some sightseeing, where we went to a couple different beaches. I must admit that this experience would’ve been really hard if I didn’t know any French coming in. But since I do, it’s been working perfectly. We’re learning a lot on both sides and I’ve been loving the experience. ” – Hannah Stanke, Teach in a Homestay Alumna from 2015
Participants live with a local host family during the program. You will receive your host family contact information prior to departure. A large percentage of the host families live in small towns outside of major urban areas, and they are located throughout the country. It is very important to be flexible in your placement location, as we cannot guarantee placement in a specific region or city.
Why our past teachers love living in small towns:
“Although I’ve seen the Bordeaux sights and done the obligatory tourist activities, I’m living as a local in my small town rather than traveling as a tourist. I’m certainly never bored! Every moment of the day is a learning opportunity. The best way to learn a new culture and a foreign language is not through a tourist’s binoculars and French-English dictionary for a week, it is to live it and speak it with the locals for months.” —Tracey Ettensohn, Greenheart Travel Teach in a Homestay Alumnus
Check out the map below to see where other Teach in a Homestay participants have been placed!
Can I choose where I will be placed?
No. You can choose your destination country, but you must be flexible about where you will be placed within that country. We can never guarantee placements in any specific city or region and we match based on compatibility with the host family.
If I go with my spouse/partner/significant other, will we be placed in the same home?
Yes! We are now accepting couples for this program, and for an extra fee you can be placed in the same household. Please inquire with your program manager.
Will I be placed in a city?
No. It is very unlikely you will be placed in a city. A majority of our families live in small to medium sized towns outside of major cities, and it is important you be open-minded to small town life.
Once I receive my placement, can I request to change it?
No, we do not change host families based on preferences or location. If you request to change your host family after you have been placed, you will forfeit your $500 placement deposit.
What if I don’t like my host family? Can I request a new one?
No. We do not change host families based on preferences or location. If concerns arise one you are in country, we handle them on a case-by-case basis and do our best to resolve issues amicably.
Can I be placed with my friend?
No. We are not able to place more than one person with a host family (unless you are a couple – see above!). It is okay to apply with friends; however, if pay an additional fee you could be placed in separate homes and in the same city.
Optional TEFL Course
While no certification is required for the Teach English in a Homestay program, an education in ESL teaching methods is extremely helpful in these tutoring positions.
Therefore, we are excited to offer a special discount on the Online TEFL Certification Course. This will allow our Homestay teachers to get formal ESL training alongside the hands on experience of tutoring their host families. Alumni of the online course receive lifetime job placement assistance, opening up great opportunities for future teaching positions around the world.
Adding the 170-hour online course is perfect if you want:
- To teach abroad in a school in the future
- To save time – the 20 practicum hours required by the course are fulfilled by your homestay program
- A flexible course designed to fit around your full time schedule
Teach English in a Homestay travelers can sign up for the TEFL course in their homestay application at a discounted fee of $1,045. Just check the “Add TEFL Certification” box when you apply!
Read more about the course here!
1. Start Your Application Here (Approximately 5 Minutes): Greenheart Travel Application.
2. Sign the Terms & Conditions (Approximately 10 Minutes): After you complete Part 1 of your application, you will be asked to read through and sign our Terms and Conditions which outline the requirements and policies of the program.
3. Submit your deposit (Approximately 5 minutes): You will need to submit your $250 deposit at this point in the process. A deposit is required in order to reserve your spot on the program and is subtracted from your total program fee. It’s rare that our homestay applications are denied, but if you are not accepted on the program you will be refunded the deposit.
4. Secondary Application Form (Approximately 30 Minutes): This is the most in-depth part of the application process as it helps us get to know you better. You will need to provide detailed information about yourself, why you want to go abroad, and what you hope to gain from your experience.
5. Submit your Required Documents (Approximately 5 minutes): these documents are outlined below.
6. Skype Interview (Approximately 15 Minutes): The final step of the application process will require you to have a Skype interview with your program manager to discuss the program and your goals for being a tutor on this program
7. Acceptance: Once you’ve completed all the steps, Greenheart Travel will thoroughly review your application and will contact you within 2-3 business days about your acceptance the next steps.
- A letter of recommendation (personal or professional)
- A “dear host family” letter introducing yourself
- A photo album with 5-7 recent photos of you (used for your host family to get to know you)
- Copy of your passport
- Completed background check. If you are a U.S. citizen we can provide you a free, online service.
You’re Accepted – now what?
Your program manager will be in touch with you directly about your acceptance. If accepted, you will receive your Greenheart Travel program handbook via email, as well as supplemental information about dealing with culture shock and our insurance program.
Before we begin the host family screening and placement process, an additional $500 payment toward your program fee is due. Please refer to the payment process here.
A visa may be required for a tourist stay of up to 90 days depending on the destination country. Greenheart Travel will provide you information about applying for a visa, but please check with the embassy of your host country to verify, as visa requirements may change.
We will also schedule a pre-departure orientation to answer any lingering questions and prepare you for the program. This will be scheduled about 4 weeks before your departure date.
Schedule a Call
Have questions or want to talk to us about the program? Set up a time to have a phone call below.