First Time Travelers
Travel can seem daunting, but we’re here to guide you through the experience like the seasoned pro you will soon become!
Hey there! Welcome to the first step towards your amazing journey abroad. Travel can seem daunting, but we’re here to guide you through the experience like the seasoned pro you will soon become!
Hear from Greenheart Travel staff members about their first time’s traveling abroad:
What is a First Time Traveler?
Whether you’ve never left your hometown before or have traveled abroad before but never long term, on a program, or without your family – we’re here to guide you through all the steps of your program.
Providing our participants with the best support has always been our focus at Greenheart Travel. We don’t just say that we want you to feel comfortable going abroad, we create and provide you with tangible resources that will make traveling a feat within reach.
So let’s get started and get you to Spain…or Thailand…or Itay….or…who knows?? The world is truly yours to explore.
On This Page You Will Find:
Want to hear from others who have traveled abroad for the first time on a Greenheart Travel program? Head to the messages tab to hear all about their programs abroad.
Wondering what would be the best program for a First Time Traveler like you? We’ve got recommendations for everyone, whether you’re a teen, adult, teacher, or want to lead a group!
We’ve created a collection of valuable resources after decades of working with first time travelers. These will empower you to buckle your seatbelt and fly off to your host community with excitement and confidence!
We want to help make travel accessible to everyone and truly believe that when you study, teach or volunteer abroad, you are embarking on a journey that will significantly impact your global perspective! That is why, along with our Greenheart Grants, we offer additional support and resources specifically for those who haven’t had the experience of traveling abroad solo before.
We’re giving away a total of $14,000 over 11 different partial scholarships. Scholarships will only be awarded for programs that start within 2019. Here’s the breakdown:
- There will be seven (7) individual scholarships of $1,000 USD for either our Teach/Work Abroad*, or TEFL Course** programs for adults.
- There will be one (1) individual scholarship of $4,000 USD for our High School Abroad programs for teens.
- There will be one (1) individual scholarship of $1,000 USD for our Teen Summer Language Campprogram for teens.
- There will be one (1) individual scholarship of $1,000 USD for our Teach in a Homestay program for adults.
- There will be one (1) individual scholarship of $1,000 USD for our Volunteer Abroad program for teens or adults.
Greenheart Travel has worked with many first time travelers throughout the years, providing unrivaled support to help our travelers feel confident about traveling for the first time. Starting in 2018 we offered scholarships and you can read the stories from all our First Time Traveler Scholarship winners on our blog here.
“Yes! I am loving the experience and the only regret: I wish I would have done this sooner…” – Alvaro Zumaran, Scholarship winner now living in Myanmar
Wondering what would be the best program for a First Time Traveler like you?
Here are a few great choices for:
Teachers or Adults – Teach English in Thailand for the Summer
Teaching English in Thailand is a short term and fully supported program.
Teen Students – Teen Summer Language Camp in Canada
Studying French in Canada means you’re not traveling too far from home!
Volunteers – Volunteer at our Animal Rescue Center in Costa Rica
Our Costa Rican program is the perfect introduction to traveling abroad for the first time. We have been sending teenagers here for over 15 years and volunteers are fully supported by the Costa Rican staff at the project.
Thinking about a different program?
All of Greenheart Travel’s programs provide full support. While these destinations above are our choices as the best for first time travelers, we will be there every step of the way no matter which program you decide to travel abroad on.
We’ve created a collection of valuable resources after decades of working with First Time Travelers. These will empower you to buckle your seatbelt and fly off to your host community with excitement and confidence!
- Your best and most valuable resource, your Program Manager, will be available for every step of the process.
- Program Specific To-Do Lists
- Monthly webinars, designed to answer your frequently asked questions
- Our interactive Greenheart Atlas will transition you through the beginning, middle, and end of your cultural immersion.
- Easily searchable blogs for more information on your specific program
- Bi-monthly re-entry seminar series with our Outreach Coordinator, Kate Powers! You’ll be instantly connected to your community of fellow Greenheart travelers!
- Fundraising tips
- …. and of course check out all of our great reviews here!