Teach English in a Homestay in Spain
Spend one to three months in Spain teaching English to a host family and exploring Spanish culture!
Explore the vibrant capital city of Madrid with Greenheart Travel’s Teach English in a Homestay program in Spain. Participants tutor their host family English for 15 hours per week while you share in their everyday life. Soak in the Spanish way of life through full language and cultural immersion.
This program offers:
This is a volunteer, unpaid teaching placement designed for deep cultural immersion and exchange. This program is ideal for adults hoping to get their feet wet in teaching, teachers planning to travel during their summer break, or travelers seeking to experience full cultural immersion while teaching English abroad.
- Volunteer tutoring position with a local host family
- 15 hours per week teaching experience (the rest of the time is yours!)
- Placements throughout Madrid region
- Accommodation with volunteer Spanish host family
- 1, 2 or 3 month placements
- Rolling start dates available throughout the year
Picture yourself abroad and read our participants’ blog posts on life as an English tutor in Spain!
“I stayed in Spain with an amazing host for two months. We really clicked and I’m so happy to have met her. She was such a positive and happy person who was excited to show me her favorite places. The locals are so friendly and the landscape is beautiful. When I went to Spain, I didn’t know any Spanish and just by living there and being immersed in the culture I was able to pick some up which is such a nice thing to take away from such a special experience.” – Cindy Chan, Greenheart Travel Teach in a Homestay Alumnus
You can start teaching in a homestay any month of the year! We do not have exact start dates for this program because they are dependent on yours and the host family’s schedules. It’s important to be flexible with your dates as many families have variable time frames.
You should select a target month that you would like to start teaching as well as a preferred length of stay (1, 2 or 3 months). On your application, you will list the earliest date when you can arrive in Spain and latest date that you need to return by. Greenheart Travel then uses this timetable to match you with a family looking for a similar time period! Once you have your placement, you will arrange the exact dates and details with your host family.
We need at least 8 weeks lead time to secure a host family, but we recommend applying earlier than that if your time frame is not flexible.
|Starting Month||Deadline to Apply Date|
|July 2017||May 1, 2017|
|August 2017||June 1, 2017|
|September 2017||July 1, 2017|
|October 2017||August 1, 2017|
|November 2017||September 1, 2017|
|December 2017||October 1, 2017|
**Many Spanish families travel on vacation or holiday during the month of August and placements can be scarce. We recommend applying well ahead of time if you can only participate in August since the placement process could take longer than normal.
No previous teaching experience or certification is required. We are looking for participants who are open-minded and flexible, as well as meet the following requirements:
- Be between the ages of 18-40
- Be a native English speaker (other languages depend on specific demand)
- Must be a high school graduate – college students and graduates preferred
- Must have the ability to prepare a private tutoring lesson plan
- Be a citizen of the EU, USA, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa or Canada
- Be in good mental* and physical health
I don’t have teaching experience. How will I know what to teach my host family?
The English lessons tend to be informal and conversation based. There is no pre-determined curriculum; however participants should be prepared to put together a lesson plan for each tutoring session. Greenheart Travel will provide you access to a library of resources to help you develop ideas for the lessons.
Typically families are looking for you to speak English with them over dinner or for a certain amount of time during the day.
Usually you will teach the children in the home but occasionally an adult will request lessons as well. The level of English will vary depending on the host family but most will be at the beginner level and will only have basic knowledge of English.
- $1,410 flat rate fee for 1, 2 or 3 months!
Please note, all prices are listed in USD
- Host family search, screening and placement process
- Single room accommodation with carefully screened host family
- Three home-cooked meals a day for duration of program
- Local office support
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- Pre-departure orientation
- Culture & Etiquette Guidebook
- Enhance your resume with experience as a Private Language Tutor
- Learn a new language through immersion in a different culture and country
What’s Not Included:
- Flight to Spain
- Meals eaten outside of the host family home
- Spending money for personal purchases, tourism or optional activities
Wondering why you have to pay for a volunteer teaching program?
Greenheart Travel is a non-profit organization, and the program fee for this volunteer teaching project covers the cost of placing you in the program. These fees also aid in providing accommodation, meals, insurance and pre-departure & in-country support to homestay teachers.
Homestay participants live with a local host family during the program. Host families apply in a similar way to participants and Greenheart Travel will match you based on living preferences and personal interests. Host families are not compensated for hosting and host only in exchange for the English lessons.
Prospective host families undergo a rigorous screening process. Participants can rest assured that only suitable host families will be selected. In order to qualify as a host family, the prospective hosts must:
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
- Undergo and pass an in-person interview with program staff
- Agree to and pass a home inspection
Participants will have their own private room but may share a bathroom and living areas with the host family. Host families also provide three meals per day except on when going out to restaurants. As an English teacher in a homestay, you will be warmly welcomed into a host family’s home, while having the opportunity to explore the region on your own.
What do our participants say about their homestays?
“During my homestay, I taught two fraternal twin boys– Pablo and Daniel. They were nine years old, full of nothing but energy and interest. I helped them with homework every day after school, and played any learning games they wanted me to partake in. They spoke English very well, but I tutored them with their reading and writing. I was nervous at first because I had never been any kind of teacher. But now, I find it fun and rewarding to read and write with them. It’s nothing scary at all. After only being with the boys for 6 days I had already grown a loving attachment to them. They began saying how they don’t want me to ever leave, which melts my heart.” — Krystin Garcia, Teach in a Homestay Alum
Participants live with a local host family during the program. You will receive your host family contact information prior to departure. We cannot guarantee placement in a specific region or city and it is important to be flexible in your placement location, as there are families throughout the country.
While a majority of our placements are located in the Madrid and Granada areas, there are plenty of other locations we have placed people in the past. You cannot submit placement location requests, so it is important you be open-minded and flexible with the location.
Can I choose where I will be placed?
No. You can choose your destination country, but you must be flexible about where you will be placed within that country. We can never guarantee placements in any specific city or region and we match based on compatibility with the host family.
Once I receive my placement, can I request to change it?
No, we do not change host families based on preferences or location. If you request to change your host family after you have been placed, you will forfeit your $500 placement deposit.
What if I don’t like my host family? Can I request a new one?
No. We do not change host families based on preferences or location. If concerns arise one you are in country, we handle them on a case-by-case basis and do our best to resolve issues amicably.
Can I be placed with my friend/spouse/significant other?
No. We are not able to place more than one person with a host family. It is okay to apply with friends and family; however, you will be placed in separate homes and we cannot guarantee they will be in the same city.
Complete the Online Application
There are 5 short steps in the application process, which are outlined below. The whole process takes about 30 minutes and can be done in stages.
- Select the APPLY NOW button on the left side of the program page. You will receive a link to fill out the first portion of the application, which asks for general information about you.
- Once you complete part 1, you will be emailed Greenheart Travel’s Terms and conditions. Please read through them and sign.
- Next, you will pay a $250 deposit to hold your position in the program. It is very rare that our homestay applications are declined, but if you are rejected from the program, you will be refunded the $250 less a $75 processing fee. Otherwise, it is deducted for your overall program fee.
- Now, you will complete a second application form that includes more detailed information about yourself (such as education background, experience, medical history, host family preference, etc).
- In order to finalize your application, you will need to complete a 15 minute interview via Skype with the program manager.
Additionally, you will need to upload the following documents:
- 1 letter of recommendation (can be personal or professional)
- A “Dear Family” letter introducing yourself to your homestay family
- Copy of your passport
- A completed background check. If you are a US citizen, Greenheart Travel provides you a free, online background check service which you can access during the application process. If you are not a US citizen, you are required to submit your own background check from your local police station.
Review your Application
Greenheart Travel will thoroughly review your application and will contact you within 2-3 business days to confirm your acceptance. If we find something in your application that we have concerns about, we will let you know immediately. 95% of applicants are accepted on the program they apply for.
You’re Accepted – now what?
Your program manager will be in touch with you directly about your acceptance. If accepted, you will receive an orientation packet via email, as well as supplemental information about dealing with culture shock and our insurance program.
Before we begin the host family screening and placement process, an additional $500 payment toward your program fee is due. This payment is required a minimum of 8 weeks prior to your departure.
A visa may be required for a tourist stay of up to 90 days depending on the destination country. Greenheart Travel will provide you information about applying for a visa, but please check with the embassy of your host country to verify, as visa requirements may change.