Teach English in Vietnam
Explore the beautiful country of Vietnam while you teach English for a semester.
Explore the beautiful countryside, fascinating history, and delicious food of Vietnam working as a paid English teacher abroad. Teaching positions are available starting at semester contracts with options to extend after your program. Gain experience teaching in public schools without having to commit to a long term contract.
This program is unique in that you will be teaching in the public schools, and it is only a one semester commitment.
Basic Program Details:
- Paid English teaching positions in Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, and surrounding areas
- One semester contracts (~4 months)
- Placements in public schools
- Monthly salary of $1,000 – $1,500 USD
- Orientation upon arrival
- Option to add a TESOL Course
All positions are currently full – stay tuned for more upcoming start dates!
For the semester Teach in Vietnam program, there will be a 5 day orientation, followed by the option to add on a 3-week TESOL certification course for those who are not yet certified. The Fall semester starts at the beginning of September, Those who are taking the course will arrive in early August to complete the certification prior to beginning teaching. Everyone will still start the orientation on one of the start dates below, and those that add on the certification will have their orientation followed by 3 extra weeks of coursework.*Please note that teachers should plan to arrive in Ho Chi Minh City the day before the start date
- Native English Speaker
- Citizenship from USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand
- Bachelor’s Degree
- In-person TEFL/TESOL Certification required
- 21-60 years old
- Ability to commit to a full semester
- Adventurous, mature, flexible and open-minded
- Due to the challenges of living and working abroad, any pre-existing conditions, whether mental or physical, may affect your eligibility
Still need your TEFL/TESOL certificate?
Add on an on-site TESOL certification course in Ho Chi Minh City to the beginning your program in Vietnam for $800 more. A TEFL/TESOL course is a requirement for the Vietnam program.
Placement Only: $1,500
Placement + TESOL Course: $2,300
- One semester public school teaching position (~4 months)
- Monthly salary of $1,000 – $1,500 USD (depending on qualifications and number of teaching hours)
- Pre-departure Online Vietnam Cultural Foundation course
- Orientation upon arrival
- Accommodation during orientation (and TESOL Course, if taken)
- Travel stipend for daily commute
- Work visa arranged by the school
- Airport pick up
- Step-by-step guidance and support throughout application process, including pre-departure orientation
- 24/7 emergency support and services for duration of the program. Meet one of our awesome in-country support staff members here!
- International medical/accident insurance provided through Greenheart Travel
What’s not included: flights to/from Vietnam, entry visa fees, meals & accommodation during your teaching contract.
Looking for a shorter contract? Check out our Summer Program!
Teachers will be working in public school classrooms through an English language school that employs Native English speaking teachers. The language school has relationships with local public schools who may not be able or willing to afford to hire a full time native English teacher, or obtain a work visa on their own. Participants will be dividing their teaching hours across 2-5 public schools throughout the work week.
- Most placements are in Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and surrounding areas
- Public Schools, primarily elementary level
- Lead teacher
- 15-25 teaching hours per week
- Teacher may work in 2-5 different schools throughout the week, all located in the area surrounding the language school branch
What is the advantage of this program over teaching in a language school?
Teaching in public schools provides you with the opportunity to teach and work with kids who may not otherwise have the opportunity to take English lessons with a native speaker. Learning English in Vietnam can be a ticket to a better life, providing the opportunity for career opportunities like business and tourism. As a teacher in Vietnam public schools, you will be directly affecting your students and their futures.
Additionally, the schedules for public school positions can be much more appealing to those wishing to travel during their stay in Vietnam. Whereas private language school lessons are often taught around regular school and business hours (evenings and weekends), a public school schedule allows your working hours to be limited to daytime hours during the week, allowing nights and weekends to stay free for exploration.
You will be provided with several days of free accommodation in a hotel while you search for housing. Local staff will assist you in finding local accommodations. Typically, participants will find and share an apartment with other teachers.
In addition to our semester-long contracts, we also offer several short-term summer positions with slightly different program details. This program is perfect for teachers during their summer break, or for anyone looking to get some teaching experience without a long-term commitment!
- Paid English teaching positions in public schools in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi
- 2-month contract
- 15 – 17 hours of classroom time per week
- Monthly salary of $960 – $1,200 (pre-tax)
- Program Dates: May 30 – July 31
- Deadline to Apply: April 15
- Program fee
- $1,400 for placement only
- $1,950 for online TESOL course + placement
- Requirements: Completed bachelor’s degree + TESOL
If you are not yet TESOL certified, you’ll do an online course with our in-country partner before your departure for Vietnam.
When will I find out where I will be placed?
You will interview, receive a job offer and find out where you’re placed prior to arrival in Vietnam. We can accept placement preferences, but cannot guarantee that preferences will be met.
Are my meals included throughout my placement?
You will be responsible for your own meals during your time in Vietnam. Vietnamese food is very fresh, inexpensive and easy to obtain.
How will I get to school every day?
You will be provided with a stipend intended to cover your commuting expenses. You may choose to take a taxi to school every day. Many teachers choose motorbikes as their form of transportation. However, this option should only be taken after careful consideration of the dangerous roads and and very heavy traffic conditions in Vietnam. We do not recommend driving motorbikes in Vietnam.
Will I have access to internet?
WiFi is widely accessible in Vietnam, although Vietnam does block certain websites.
What are the Vietnamese schools like?
The schools in which you will work will vary. You will teach for 18-25 hours per week, with weekends free. Class sizes will vary and may be up to 60 students. The quality and amount of equipment and resources will vary from school to school. Some schools are well-equipped, but many are simple in terms of technology or resources. Foreign teachers are not common in schools.
What will my duties be during my contract?
The following are the key duties expected of you. These will vary slightly between schools, participants and programs. Classroom duties as a teacher intern include:
- Teaching English to a range of classes at several public school for up to 25 classroom teaching hours per week
- Classroom administration (such as taking attendance, marking homework, reporting grades etc.)
- Preparation of teaching materials and lesson plans
- Attending meetings as required
- Participation in after-school activities and cultural events.
It is the expectation of the school that teachers will maintain a high professional standard at all times and actively contribute to the life of the school.
Can I bring my children? No.
Can I bring pets? No.
Will I have access to a phone?
It is very easy and cheap to get cell phones in Vietnam. Phones cost about $30, and then it is pay as you go. You can also bring your own unlocked cell phone and just buy a new SIM card, which is only $2 or $3.
What should I bring as a gift for coworkers?
It’s nice to bring a few small gifts with you to Vietnam as a friendly offering! The best gifts are those that represent your home town or country!
LIVING IN VIETNAM
What language do they speak in Vietnam?
The official language of Vietnam is Vietnamese.
I am a vegetarian – will this be a problem in Vietnam?
It can be very challenging to be a vegetarian in Vietnam. Most of the food in the restaurants contain some sort of meat, meat broth, or are prepared with fish sauce. However, there is an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables in the markets! Vegetarians should plan to frequently prepare meals at home.
What should I wear?
Vietnamese teachers dress professionally. While teaching, you should dress “business casual”. Women should wear skirts/dresses that are knee length or longer, or nice pants. Tops should cover your chest and shoulders. Men should wear trousers with collared shirts (polos or button-downs).
Outside of the classroom is more flexible, but you should keep in mind that the Vietnamese tend to be more conservative than most Western countries, especially in the rural areas outside of the city.
HEALTH & SAFETY
Will I need any vaccinations or immunizations to travel to Vietnam?
We recommend visiting your doctor or a local travel clinic for updated advice on recommended immunizations. You should visit a doctor a couple of months before your program.
Here is some health information for Vietnam: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/vietnam
Is Vietnam safe?
Vietnam is a very safe country. However, just like in any country, you should exercise some caution: be aware of your surroundings, keep an eye on your belongings, don’t walk alone late at night, etc. In tourist areas street hawkers will approach you to buy their goods but a firm ‘’khong” or “no” is enough to put them off. Bag snatching from foreigners is probably the most common threat in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.
How much money should I bring with me to Vietnam?
It’s best to have about $2,000 USD in the bank going into the program. It is unlikely that you will use all of it, but it’s good to have additional funds for unexpected expenses and travel. You will also need to support yourself until your first paycheck comes through, often at the end of you first month of teaching. We also recommend having access to a credit card in case of an emergency expense.
Can I use my credit card in Vietnam?
The use of credit cards in Vietnam is fairly rare. Some higher end or touristy places or malls will accept cards, but expect to primarily use cash.
Is it expensive to live in Vietnam?
The cost of living in Vietnam is very low, and your salary will be plenty to live off of.
Should I exchange for Vietnamese currency before arriving?
There’s no need to exchange your money before arriving. You can withdraw money from the ATM at the airport once you arrive, and throughout your stay in Vietnam. You can also bring some cash ($200-300 USD), and exchange it for Vietnamese Dong at an exchange kiosk in the airport upon arrival. However, exchange rates from ATMs tends to be better than at exchange kiosks. It’s good to travel with some cash to exchange in case you have any trouble with the ATM.
Required Documents To Apply:
- Application (done online)
- Copy of Passport
- Criminal Record Check – Greenheart Travel pays for this for US Citizens as part of the online application
- Copy of your University Degree or Transcript
Our spaces for this program are limited. Applicants will be screened and accepted on a rolling basis. We recommend submitting your application and documents as early as possible to secure a position.
The sooner you submit your application and deposit, the sooner we can start reviewing your application, set up your interview, and hear about your acceptance. With your application and deposit out of the way, you can start planning your upcoming adventure!
- Select the APPLY NOW button. You will be sent your unique link to your online application immediately via email.
- Using the unique link emailed to you, fill out the application. This includes things like your name, address and chosen start date.
- Sign our Program Terms and Conditions, which will be emailed to you and can be signed online.
- Submit your $300 application deposit. A deposit is required in order to reserve your spot in the program and is subtracted from your total program fee. If we are unable to accept you (very unlikely!) we will refund your deposit, minus a $75 processing fee.
- Submit the required documents and run your criminal background check (provided for free for US Citizens).
- Schedule your Skype interview! Once you have submitted your online application and paid your deposit, you will be asked to schedule a Skype interview with a Greenheart Travel representative. If you do not have a Skype account, please be sure to create an account before the date of your interview.
- After Acceptance, you will be asked to submit a $300 Commitment Deposit to secure your spot and start date on the program. This will be due within 14 days of being accepted onto the program. This also goes towards your total program fee as well, and the rest of your balance is due 6 weeks before departure.
- You’ll have a conversation with in-country staff and and an additional interview directly with the school prior to being offered a contract.
Reviewing Your Application
Greenheart Travel will thoroughly review your application and will contact you to confirm your acceptance. If you have submitted all documents, this can happen as quickly as 1-2 days. Acceptance can only be given after we have all of your required documents, so please submit them to us as soon as possible. If we find something in your application that we have concerns about, we will let you know immediately.
You will need to bring the following physical documents with you to Vietnam in order for the school to process your visa paperwork:
- Copy of your Bachelors Degree Diploma, notarized and apostilled
- Government Issued Background Check (local, state, or national level), notarized and apostilled
- Your original TEFL Certificate