Marketing Internship in Thailand
Gain international work experience during a 12-week professional development internship in Hua Hin.
Internship in Thailand
This is a unique opportunity exclusively offered by Greenheart Travel to work with an organization which provides teach, education, homestay and internship programs across Asia. Possible internship duties include marketing, writing, event planning, and logistics for the organization and for its non-profit animal rescue affiliate. The program is created to enable participants to have a wide range of rewarding cross-cultural experiences while building valuable professional experience.
Program at a Glance:
- 12-week professional development internship in Hua Hin, Thailand
- Earn academic credit*
- Work on real, impactful business projects
- 100+ internship hours
- Mentor guidance and supervision
- Professional Letter of Recommendation
- Thai cultural training and excursions
*Applicants are responsible for checking with their university internship office or adviser about receiving credit for this internship. This program meets all requirements for 4 internship credits at DePaul University with online internship course.
Picture Yourself on an Internship in Thailand
|Program Dates||Available Positions|
Have questions for a program manager? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Start Date||Deadline to Apply|
|October 1 – December 21||FULL|
|October 29 – January 18, 2019||FULL|
|November 26 – February 15, 2019||September 15, 2018|
*This start date is an 8 week summer session – perfect for current students!
Interns are hired on a rolling basis and there are a limited number of spots available so it is important to apply early to secure a spot in your preferred department
There are two available positions for this internship, one with Xplore Asia and one with Rescue Paws. Both positions will require that each intern, along with your day-to-day responsibilities, will also develop and execute your own project based on a SWOT analysis of the company and SMART goals that will be established in the first few weeks with the help of your supervisor. You will create a proposal for your project, present it to the management team and complete the project before the end of your internship.
During your initial interview, you will have the chance to specify a position with either Xplore Asia or Rescue Paws. Below are some more details on these positions.
Intern for Xplore Asia
This position is working primarily with Xplore Asia, our partner in Thailand responsible for placing our teachers. You will have the opportunity to experience working with the Marketing, Program Management and Placement teams, but you will ultimately be assigned a full time position within one of these teams for the majority of your internship based on qualifications and experience. Here are other duties you may encounter during your time in Thailand, depending on your position:
- Develop new marketing materials and generate new marketing campaigns
- Create new and maintain existing content on Xplore Asia’s website and blogs
- Aid in coordinating logistics for teachers coming to Thailand, South Korea, Vietnam, China and Myanmar
- Grow Xplore Asia’s web presence through various social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Document group excursions and events
- Analyze data on student feedback forms and develop reports
- Assist in coordination and logistics or group activities for TESOL courses, English camps and other Xplore Asia programs
- Assist in researching
Intern for Rescue Paws
This position is working primarily with Rescue Paws, a non-profit organization aimed at improving the lives of stray animals in Hua Hin. During the first few weeks of your internship with Rescue Paws, you will become familiar with the organization from the ground up by assisting in the animal care along with the volunteers which will include tasks like: dog feeding runs*, kennel maintenance, working with local community to educate on proper animal care and assistance with veterinarian services. Once you have a firm grasp on the organization, you will move your focus towards your project and other day-to-day responsibilities which may include:
- Assist the directors with various marketing and management projects
- Develop promotional and program-related material for Rescue Paws
- Aid in the coordination of adoptions as well as educational and other events
- Assist with monthly newsletter
- Create new and maintain existing content on Rescue Paws website and blog
- Grow Rescue Paws’ web presence through various social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Take photos and videos of Rescue Paws activities
- Research marketing plans to increase adoptions
- Research and develop a fundraising campaign
- Increase exposure within the local and international community
*due to the fact that Rescue Paws interns will be working closely with animals in the community, it is highly suggested that interns receive the rabies vaccine prior to their arrival in Thailand
NEW Intern in Myanmar (Fall only)
This position in Myanmar will be working closely with Xplore Asia’s staff in the country’s largest city, Yangon. The day-to-day responsibilities of this position will be very similar to the Xplore Asia position. If this internship is of interest to you, you’ll be able to discuss it in more detail during your Skype interview!
- No previous experience required
- Applicants should be highly motivated and should take the internship seriously
- An adventurous attitude and strong flexibility are a must
- Current university student and recent graduates
- Fluent English Speaker
- Ages 19-30
What Greenheart Travel alumni are saying about their internship experience in Thailand:
What did you like best about this internship?
“My cop-out answer is the experience of being in Thailand and learning about a new culture. My real answer is not that I just went to another location and vacationed there, but rather I got to have a taste of what it was like to actually live there. Wake up, go to work, go get food with friends, and go out at night. Generally, what I do in America, but in a society and culture vastly different from my own.”
Greenheart Travel alumn Colin Reineberg
What advice would you have for a new intern joining the program?
“Do not let fear of something unfamiliar hinder you from experiencing something new. Be open and willing to work in a different work environment. A daily Thai work schedule is not the same as a daily work schedule in the U.S. Be understanding of the differences and know that you will have to adjust to a new environment.”
Greenheart Travel alumn Kevin Folkes
What did you like best about this internship?
“What I liked best about this internship was the environment that we were in. Thailand was absolutely breathtaking, the office space we worked in was comfortable and accommodating, and the people we worked with were very friendly. The opportunities that were given to me from this internship as well as the people I had the chance to meet will never be forgotten.”
Greenheart Travel alumnus Shannon Schroeder
- Accommodation (based on double occupancy)
- Weekly stipend (enough to cover meals)
- Airport pickup
- Hotel first night in Bangkok (double occupancy)
- Transportation from Bangkok to Hua Hin
- Mentor throughout the internship
- Online Pre-departure Thai Cultural Foundation Course
- Local excursions, including visits to Hutsadin Elephant Sanctuary, a Muay Thai lesson, a Buddhist Temple, and Beach Barbecue
- International Medical and Accident Insurance
- School credit, when possible
- “Culture Smart” Thailand Customs & Culture Guidebook
- Greenheart Travel “Travel for a Change” T-shirt
- 24 hour in-country support for duration of the program
- Letter of Recommendation
- Volunteer opportunities with Rescue Paws
- Greenheart Club membership
Does not include: Flights, Visa Costs, Meals, Utilities, Incidentals, Vaccines
You’ll be interning in the Xplore Asia office in Hua Hin, Thailand. Xplore Asia is our partner organization in Thailand and we work with them directly to place our English teachers in Thailand. Xplore Asia works with other US, South African, Canadian, and UK companies sending English teachers to Thailand, Myanmar, China, Vietnams and South Korea. Along with their teacher placement programs, they also arrange volunteer and homestay opportunities. In 2013, Xplore Asia opened a dog rescue called Rescue Paws, a non-profit organization aimed at improving the lives of stray animals in Hua Hin, Thailand. This internship will be so much more than fetching coffee and doing clerical work. All internships include:
- 100+ internship hours
- Mentor supervision and guidance
- Practical, hands-on professional work experience in several fields
- Professional letter of recommendation
Each intern will have a mentor who will help to guide them in their department roles and responsibilities. Your mentor will also help you to understand the many challenges faced when working in a cross-cultural and multinational environment, and how to overcome them. The mentor will also discuss their own career aspirations and help provide advice based on their own experience. The mentor will be someone with extensive work and overseas experience. You may have a Thai or Western mentor depending on your department.
Develop Resume-Building Personal and Professional Skills
With a career focused experience abroad, you’ll be able to highlight the following skills and traits in your cover letters, on your resume, and during job interviews:
- Resourcefulness and resilience
- Open-mindedness and curiosity
- Intercultural communication skills
- Cultural sensitivity, tolerance and global awareness
- Demonstrated independence, self-discipline, flexibility,
- Desire to seek challenges and embrace change
- Adaptation and Coping Skills
- Writing skills
- Ability to deal with stress or ambiguity
Can I talk with alumni or current participants from the program in Thailand?
How does the stipend work?
You will receive a weekly meal stipend during your time in Thailand. This will be paid out in weekly installments which comes out to about $36 a week. This doesn’t seem like much but will be enough to cover your meals for the week. The cost of living in Thailand is very low. For example:
$41 = 1290 Thai Baht (THB)
1 Thai meal (not Western food) = 50-80 THB
3 meals a day for 7 days (at 65 THB/meal) = 1170 THB
What will my day-to-day activities look like?
You will be expected to work Monday-Friday for about 8 hours with an hour long lunch break in the afternoon. Nights and weekends will be your free time to go to the beach, shop, explore or anything else you want to do! You will also be in Thailand with a group of our teachers and will assist in their arrival and will participate in their orientation week.
Can I get school credit?
You will have to check with you universities’ requirements to gain credit for an internship, but it’s definitely possible! Don’t hesitate to reach out if your school has extra requirements, we are happy to make adjustments.
When should I apply?
We recommend applying at least 2 months in advance. However, we are accepting interns on a rolling basis so all positions may be filled by the deadline. Applying early for this program is important to secure a spot in your preferred department.
Can I apply with a friend?
Of course! If you and your friend are accepted onto the program, you can request to room together.
Do I have to find my own housing?
Nope! Your accommodation is included in the program fee. It will be a hostel room shared with another intern of the same sex. Your accommodation will be within walking distance of work.
Will I have time to travel?
Nights and weekends will be your free time to explore Hua Hin. However, if you’d like to see more of Thailand, we highly suggest planning time after your internship ends to see other parts of the country.
Do I have to be able to speak Thai?
It is not required that you know Thai before arriving. You will have basic Thai language lessons during the teachers’ orientation. It will definitely help to know a few key phrases before getting on the plane. There are many apps you can use to learn these everyday phrases.
Can I apply for more than one position?
If you can’t decide on a specific intern position, you are more than welcome to apply for both. During your interview, you will further discuss which position will be best for you as you will ultimately need to decide on one.
Will I teach English during my internship?
No. We work with this same company to place our teachers in public Thai schools, but this internship is a professional development program aimed at giving our interns experience in a multicultural and international company. If you are interested in teaching English in Thailand, take a look at that program on our website.
Will I need a visa?
You will need to apply for either a 60-day or 90-day tourist visa before arriving in Thailand. Once you are accepted into the program, you program manager will assist you in this process.
Will I receive any cultural training?
Yes! Part of the teachers’ orientation that you participate in is Thai culture and history lessons to learn how to navigate your new surroundings.
Our spaces for this program are limited. Those interested in the experience must apply and be selected. Applicants will be screened and accepted on a rolling basis. We recommend submitting your application and documents as early as possible to secure a position.
- You can start the application here: Greenheart Travel Application. This first step includes things like your name, address and chosen start date and should take around 10-15 minutes to complete. Once complete, you will receive a link to a digital Terms and Conditions form.
- Sign our online Terms and Conditions Document. These are our basic policies like cancellation policies, deferral policies, etc.
- Submit your $300 deposit. A deposit is required in order to apply for the program and is subtracted from your total program fee. We only have the resources to interview serious applicants for this program, which is why we require the deposit ahead of the interview. We get thousands of applications each year, and while we wish we could meet everyone, we only have the time to interview those who are committed to participating. If we are unable to accept you following your interview (very unlikely!) we will refund your deposit in full.
- Provide more detailed information about yourself in Part 2 of the application. Links to this part will be emailed to you. In this section, you’ll tell us more information like your work history, motivations for joining the program, travel history, and emergency contacts.
- Submit your required documents (below) at the link provided.
- Schedule your video interview! Once you have submitted your online application and paid your application deposit, you will be asked to schedule a video interview with a Greenheart Travel representative.
- You’re accepted! Woohoo! We are usually able to accept people within a 1-2 weeks of their interviews.
- Once you are accepted to the program, you will need to submit a $300 commitment deposit within 14 days to confirm your spot on the program.
- Book your flights, and get ready for your adventure to Thailand!
- Letter of motivation
- Background Check (Securely run by Greenheart Travel for US Citizens. Non-US Citizens must obtain their own National Level Background Check and submit it to Greenheart Travel prior to acceptance)
- Copy of passport
Getting Academic Credit for your Internship
It is not required for participants to earn credit during this program. However, it can be a great way to fulfill university internship or credit requirements! Here are a few tips:
- Plan ahead! Be sure to check with your internship office to inquire about whether this internship program can qualify for academic credit at your school
- If it does, you’ll need to ask about the steps necessary to obtain credit. This often means getting approval and enrolling in an internship course or writing reflection papers.
- In some cases, we will be able to work with you in order for the internship to meet your university’s requirements – just ask!
- If you cannot get credit for your internship, we’d still love to have you for this invaluable internship program!
Schedule a Call
Have questions or want to talk to the program manager, Kara? Set up a time to have a phone call below.